News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Problem with a virus

Started by crazy canuck, November 18, 2009, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on November 29, 2009, 08:02:08 PMReally?  What manufacturer?  Every computer I have ever used or worked on was set to boot from the CD first (except in systems so old they booted from floppy drive first, in which case they booted from CD second).

That may be changing as USB drives become the delivery platform of choice, but I haven't seen that yet.  Even in that case, though, I'm betting the CD drive is still ahead of the system hard drive.
I've certainly seen it on higher-line computers, but mostly it's the low-to-mid-consumer-level Dells and HPs that, for some reason, were set to a boot priority of C,A,D and had to have USB boot manually enabled.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 25, 2009, 09:26:10 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2009, 12:04:10 PM
You should be able to boot the PC directly from the Windows install disc independently of booting whatever OS is installed on his hard drive.  That's by design, specifically to deal with situations like this one.

Incorrect.  It'll only do that if he's configured BIOS to do it.  CC, when you first turn on the computer, double-check by hitting F2 (or whichever key it tells you "press ### to enter setup").  When you get in there, you're looking for a section called "boot devices" or "startup devices."  Make sure the CD-ROM is at the top of the list (if it's not, move it there), and then if your upgrade disc is in the drive when you turn the computer on, it should boot from that instead of the hard drive.  If not, then yeah, it's a problem with the disc drive.

Thanks I will check that and report back.

PRC

Download malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free version and install it.  If it won't let you download then download it from another computer, copy the install file to a flash drive and then install it to the laptop that way.  It will work.

Valdemar

Quote from: PRC on December 03, 2009, 10:04:46 PM
Download malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free version and install it.  If it won't let you download then download it from another computer, copy the install file to a flash drive and then install it to the laptop that way.  It will work.

Nods, did that on a PC I couldn't clear, worked lke charm.

V