News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The French Foriegn Legion in Afghanistan

Started by jimmy olsen, November 16, 2009, 03:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2009, 12:10:45 PMSpain's foreign legion doesn't allow foreigners any more, IIRC.
That defeats the purpose of a foreign legion, no?  :huh:

dps

Quote from: miglia on November 16, 2009, 07:21:26 AM
QuoteOfficers say police often let illegal migrants go through if they are heading for the legion. One recruit recently bicycled from Mongolia to France, they said.

The police at the EU eastern border just let him through? Right. <_<

I'm not sure that those 2 statements are supposed to be connected.  I don't think riding a bike across an international border has any particular impact on whether you're entering the country legally or not.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Alcibiades on November 16, 2009, 09:23:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2009, 06:53:05 AM
If we had ten divisions of those men our troubles there would be over very quickly.

Our ground pounders feel the same way over there, our hands are WAY too tied.  When I left Iraq the rules of engagement were ridiculous.  When we got over there we were afraid to fire our weapons, let alone at the end.

The only time things were changed was March - June '08 in Sadr City....  *almost becomes nostalgic until I realize how much past self would kick me*

Summer '07 our battalion was the main push for our entire division's AO, so we killed a lot of people, not all of whom were insurgents. I remember particularly an instance when our mortars counter-fired a mortar position south of our patrol base. The insurgents at the mortar position brought their family with them.

120mm doesn't discriminate.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Zanza on November 16, 2009, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 16, 2009, 12:10:45 PMSpain's foreign legion doesn't allow foreigners any more, IIRC.
That defeats the purpose of a foreign legion, no?  :huh:
I think Spain's foreign legion was never substantially composed of foreigners; its name was as the branch that would serve in foreign lands (e.g. Morocco).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 16, 2009, 06:18:30 PM
I remember particularly an instance when our mortars counter-fired a mortar position south of our patrol base. The insurgents at the mortar position brought their family with them.

I'm sure you feel differently about it, but to me, that's fucking funny as balls.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2009, 06:27:43 PM
I remember particularly an instance when our mortars counter-fired a mortar position south of our patrol base. The insurgents at the mortar position brought their family with them.

I'm sure you feel differently about it, but to me, that's fucking funny as balls.

It didn't bother me much. It's a damn war.

Our mortarmen had a similar reaction as you. Our Chaplain asked them if they needed to talk about what they did but they didn't see that they did anything wrong. I'm inclined to agree.

Admiral Yi

Summer '07 our battalion was the main push for our entire division's AO, so we killed a lot of people, not all of whom were insurgents. I remember particularly an instance when our mortars counter-fired a mortar position south of our patrol base. The insurgents at the mortar position brought their family with them.

How did you figure out they were family?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2009, 06:42:35 PM

How did you figure out they were family?

UAV feed.

Ed Anger

And they said lawn darts were dangerous.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

It also illustrates an important fact that we've forgotten:  For tribal peoples, the distinction between soldier and civilian is non-existant.  Even supposedly 'professional' mercenaries like Siegebreaker don't get it.  That's why it is absolutely essential that we adopt Alexandrine strategy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

The Spanish Legion was modelled in the FFL, but did forbade foreigners some time ago. Now it admits recruits from parts of the old empire (Latinamerica and Buranda Equatorial Guinea).

Viking

Quote from: Iormlund on November 16, 2009, 11:18:14 PM
The Spanish Legion was modelled in the FFL, but did forbade foreigners some time ago. Now it admits recruits from parts of the old empire (Latinamerica and Buranda Equatorial Guinea).

I thought the Spanish Legion was sold by France to Spain and then bought back?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on November 16, 2009, 11:31:16 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 16, 2009, 11:18:14 PM

I thought the Spanish Legion was sold by France to Spain and then bought back?

In 1835 the French government handed over to Spain the original Foreign Legion (then it was a new, almost untried unit, created only in 1831) during the First Carlist War. I don't think money was involved, just Louis Philippe supporting Spanish liberals because Carlists were the Spanish equivalent of French Legitimists.

The 'LegiĆ³n Extranjera' of 1920 was an entirely different unit, totally unrelated. In theory it was based on the French model, but in practice it had a different style from the start, based in a Catholicism close to fanaticism, a very explicit cult of Death bordering suicide (the Legion reveres the 'Christ of the Good Death' and legionnaires are 'Death's bridegrooms'... recruits weren't supposed to be looking for a new life, but for death on the battlefield), an unique, almost tribal, 'esprit de corps', and a austere, egalitarian outlook: all legionnaires regardless of rank are 'legionary knights', uniforms are drab, utilitarian and equal for all ranks, beards are allowed (almost encouraged), full dress uniform is the campaign uniform worn with white leather and gloves...   

In fact, probably the only thing that followed closely the French model was the anonymity, recruits could use a false name and one of the Legion mottoes was 'Your prior life means nothing' (Nada importa tu vida anterior)

Regarding politics, the Legion supported Franco during the Civil war, but at the same time applied as rigidly as ever the 'Your prior life means nothing' principle. Even before the war, many communists had actually found attractive the disciplined, egalitarian and austere legionary style (and personally I can tell you my mother's uncle, that had fled from a franquist prisoners camp but had been recaptured, was rescued from his captors by a group of legionaries that 'claimed him for the Legion'; they very probably saved his life)