Main Menu

The Prisoner (Remake)

Started by Malthus, November 16, 2009, 05:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2009, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 16, 2009, 06:26:10 PM
Re: the original--

Who did you think was keeping him prisoner?
Watch the final episode.  It was aliens holding him.  They were trying to figure out what motivated humans to do things, and he was a cipher to them - didn't fit into any of their categories.  Then they realized that some people are just not categorize-able, and left.

Think about it for a second.  How could Rover possibly fit in any other way?  Neither their side nor our side had anything like Rover, or would for hundreds of years or more.  Ditto revitlizing the dead, and a number of other "miracles."

How does The Village end?  Evacuation orders, everybody leaves and then a rocket ship takes off.  That was the aliens, going back to wherever.  Roll credits.

You know, I don't even think I caught the finale.  Or maybe I just repressed it.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2009, 07:16:14 AM

Watch the final episode.  It was aliens holding him.  They were trying to figure out what motivated humans to do things, and he was a cipher to them - didn't fit into any of their categories.  Then they realized that some people are just not categorize-able, and left.

Think about it for a second.  How could Rover possibly fit in any other way?  Neither their side nor our side had anything like Rover, or would for hundreds of years or more.  Ditto revitlizing the dead, and a number of other "miracles."

How does The Village end?  Evacuation orders, everybody leaves and then a rocket ship takes off.  That was the aliens, going back to wherever.  Roll credits.

You know, I don't even think I caught the finale.  Or maybe I just repressed it.
It was beyond bizarre.
PDH!

Rasputin

Quote from: Malthus on November 16, 2009, 05:25:14 PM

I saw it. I was not impressed.

I tried to give it a chance, I really did. But the show had little resembling a plot. Worse, the Number 6 was not an engaging character. The original kicked asses and took names; this one just seems to whine a lot.

In the original, the mystery was pretty clear: who are these people, and why do they want "information"? Why did Number 6 resign, and why is that important? How was the Prisioner going to escape?

In this thing, the mystery is trying to figure out, among all of the flashbacks and cut aways, what the hell is happening at any given moment. The problem is that without any engaging characters or coherent story, there is little reason to care.

Also missing is the awesome 60s era music and aesthetics, which added an extra element of interest and weirdness. Not that a remake should have 60s era aesthetics, but at least replace it with something. The opening sequence of the original is one of the best ever made: the new one has nothing to compare.

I concur on all points. I'm terribly dissapointed and glad that McGoohan (sp?) did not live to see this.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

My parents, who were avid fans of the show, used to think it was the enemy;  watching it in syndication (late night PBS), I always assumed he was held prisoner by his own side.  A generational interpretation gap?

Of course, the whole premise of the show was that it could've been either side, or neither;  that was the cool aspect of it.  But, if you had to choose, what were your theories on the show?

That's a fascinating theory; when I saw the last episode I was absolutely convinced it was the good guys who were afraid he'd inadvertently spill the beans or go double agent. Someone should pollify.

I wonder if this interpretation is standard for children of the 70s/80s?
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2009, 07:33:07 PM
... I didn't like the few episodes* of The Prisoner I saw.  So there.

No surprise there, character and good taste rarely improve with age.
Who is John Galt?

Rasputin

hmmm....
Who is John Galt?

Malthus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 17, 2009, 07:57:37 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2009, 07:16:14 AM

It was beyond bizarre.

My theory about the final episode involves someone doing a little too much LSD ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

That's actually the most sensible explaination I've heard.  :)

Not sure it really has a sensible explaination though .  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius