News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama Bows to Jap Emperor

Started by derspiess, November 14, 2009, 09:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2009, 05:14:32 PM
I understand that you need to get the protocol right, but really, isn't it BFD material?  Are Japanese now going to think "Hey, he acknowledged we're superior.  Prepare the invasion force at once."
No one will die directly as a result of this bow, if that's what you mean.

It's one tiny note in the long and complex coda on arrogance/submission, unilateralism/multilateralism, patriotic pride/ranting nationalism.

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on November 18, 2009, 04:42:34 PM
I get it! Obama hates America, because....

Rev. Wright told him to!  :yeah:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

I bet Hans was in stitches over that one. :rolleyes:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 17, 2009, 01:24:58 PM
To be honest, I don't really care about the physical attractiveness of the President either.

I don't know there should be some minimum threshold. After all, he (one day she) becomes the face of America.
Lincoln was our greatest president and our ugliest.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 18, 2009, 10:20:15 PM

We live in the 21st century. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 11:51:00 PM

"It's the 21st century" is as much an excuse for superficiality as "it was the 18th century" is an excuse for slavery.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

What does that have to do with anything? Intelligence and competence have no relationship to physical appearance.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2009, 03:18:26 AM
What does that have to do with anything? Intelligence and competence have no relationship to physical appearance.
Physical appearance has everything to do with securing the votes of homosexuals and women, two groups who really should never have had the vote to begin with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: Maximus on November 17, 2009, 01:24:58 PM
To be honest, I don't really care about the physical attractiveness of the President either.

I don't know there should be some minimum threshold. After all, he (one day she) becomes the face of America.

1. He was savagely attacked in the press for looking like a gorilla and it was a serious political liability.  Fortunately Lincoln was a political genius.

2. It was the 19th century so you only ever saw a drawing or photo of him from time to time.  In the TV era appearance counts for even more than it did in the 19th.

3. Was he really that ugly?  I mean it is not like Obama is Johnny Dep compared to him or anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2009, 07:43:23 AM
Physical appearance has everything to do with securing the votes of homosexuals and women, two groups who really should never have had the vote to begin with.

Homosexuals, white male landowning ones anyway, have always had the vote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 19, 2009, 03:18:26 AM

Because, people love a good show.  In this age of information, we don't want to be looking at a shrew. If Obama was butt ugly, hope and change would have stayed where it should have, in Illinois.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2009, 05:28:07 PM
Homosexuals, white male landowning ones anyway, have always had the vote.

What about gay Arabic linguists?  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall