Main Menu

Lady Thatcher is dead

Started by Josquius, November 13, 2009, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on November 13, 2009, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2009, 10:38:37 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 13, 2009, 07:39:21 PM
You know, when the real Thatcher dies, she's going to be remembered as the greatest Briton since Churchill.

Yup.
For a brief, shining moment, she made Britain relevant again.  If only for a while.
She made Britain appear relevant. Her role in breaking Old Labor and forcing the creation of New Labor should not be underestimated.  Britain is politically a far, far different place than it was when I lived there, thanks to her and most especially to the reaction to her.

"Catalyst" is a word too often used for politicians, but it applies to her.

Ronald Reagon was a non-entity compared to her.

it's something that'll vex many britons for generations to come :D

Martinus

Well, you could say the same about Hitler. "People hate you so much, it changes the world" is not exactly the most ringing kind of endorsement.

The Brain

She smacked the unions and Labour around. Good enough for me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on November 14, 2009, 06:01:12 AM

Well, you could say the same about Hitler. "People hate you so much, it changes the world" is not exactly the most ringing kind of endorsement.
People don't hate Thatcher, except for maladjusted retards.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lndhand

Her rise to power just goes to show you that a woman can change the stars.   
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

Josquius

You know, when the real Thatcher dies, she's going to be remembered as the greatest Briton since Churchill.
Wrong.
If people  these days weren't so lazy and were perhaps a bit meaner there would be street parties at the news.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on November 14, 2009, 09:48:26 AM
Wrong.
If people  these days weren't so lazy and were perhaps a bit meaner there would be street parties at the news.

I agree.

Trouble is the only people who would throw a street party are under 35, and most Brits under 35 don't have a clue who she was....note I said "Most" not "all"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I'm familiar with the case for Thatcher.  What's the case against her?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2009, 03:25:06 PM

She wasn't hot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 03:30:50 PM

She wasn't hot.

She wasn't Clement Attlee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

What is the case for her, again?

and don't just parrot the "she busted the unions" thing. I want to know how she did that, and what were the immediate repercussions and how that's made Britain a better place to be today.

500 wds or less...due on my desk Monday morning.  ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 04:35:00 PM

and don't just parrot the "she busted the unions" thing. I want to know how she did that, and what were the immediate repercussions and how that's made Britain a better place to be today.

I asked first. ;)

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 14, 2009, 04:41:50 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 14, 2009, 04:35:00 PM

I asked first. ;)
Indeed, and I suspect the reason Jos was weaseling out of answering you is that he really doesn't know the case against her, he just knows "Thatcher bad, m'kay?"  :P

However, he has assigned himself 500 words or less by Monday, so i expect he can find some anti-Thatcherite diatribe he can crib in that amount of time.  I rather respect he will ignore his own instructions to include how she did that, and what were the immediate repercussions and how that's made Britain a worse  place to be today.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

You got it wrong. Admiral Yi said "I am familiar with the case for her"

I, seriously, want to know what that is; before I can make my counter argument. In other words, I am not familiar with the case for her. Please explain. I am an idiot. Thanks.

Josephus

One other thing: I can't be arsed to "crib some anti-thatcher diatribe" although there is a lot out there. In my opinion, she isn't worth the time and effort it takes. I don't know that much about her. I didn't live in England at the time. I never studied her in school. I do remember hating the sound of her voice, and turning off the TV when she came on.

I'll throw in a couple bones though, because contrary to popular opinion here, unlike the majority of you, I am not blinded by ideology.

Although I can't stand Thatcherism and think it is highly evil, and know that a large population of Britons, espcially in the north had everything including the kitchen sink taken away from them,  I'll admit this:

1. She had the Balls to stick it to the Argies. I love a good war.
2. I"m not sure if I'll agree with Neil and say that she'll go down as the greatest leader after Churchill, I'll concede that at least she will go down in history as being one of the most powerful and influential British PMs. Unlike many other politiicans, she won't be quickly forgotten.

But I will have a beer when she dies.