News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forbes: World's Most Powerful People

Started by jimmy olsen, November 12, 2009, 05:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

What an inane project.  They should have just filled those pages with Sudoku puzzles or knock-knock jokes or something more socially valuable.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Jacob

What makes Bloomberg the 20th most powerful person in the world?  It's not like there aren't 100s of other billionaires and being the mayor of a major metropolitan conglomoration is powerful in that region but does it really mean much outside of it?  There are other big urban areas in the world and none of their mayors seem to be on it.

I concur with everyone else - this list is pretty damn silly.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2009, 04:26:08 PM
What makes Bloomberg the 20th most powerful person in the world?  It's not like there aren't 100s of other billionaires and being the mayor of a major metropolitan conglomoration is powerful in that region but does it really mean much outside of it?  There are other big urban areas in the world and none of their mayors seem to be on it.

Bloomberg demonstrated his prowess by overturning the basic democratic safeguards of the City of New York and getting himself a third vanity term, a feat not even Giuliani could manage.   :rolleyes:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

DGuller

How many mayors are required to visit Israel regularly?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on November 12, 2009, 04:30:02 PM
How many mayors are required to visit Israel regularly?

Excluding mayors of towns in the Levant and including Bloomburg, zero.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 12, 2009, 04:29:21 PM
Bloomberg demonstrated his prowess by overturning a fundamental restraint on the right to vote for the candidate of one's choosing of the City of New York and getting himself a third vanity term

Fixed,
and thank god for it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Camerus

Maximus

DGuller

This list was probably created by people with real power, for the purposes of misdirection.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on November 12, 2009, 06:45:30 AM
What are the founders of Google doing so high up? What "power" do they really have?

Everybody knows they'd be lower if they played in the PAC10.

CountDeMoney

Quote11    Pope Benedict XVI   Pope    Roman Catholic Church

The Pope? At 11? That's not even BCS eligible!  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2009, 07:41:32 PM

Charlie Weis is a lousy coach.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

The same reason they voted Silvio so high, he's a media kingpin. As members of the media they value that very highly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2009, 07:41:32 PM

The pope would be ranked higher if you went to mass and voted for pro-life candidates.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Obama at #1?  He isn't even the most powerful political figure in North America.

About the only power Obama has is the power to convince blacks to vote against gay rights.  Not a bad power, but not great.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.