Bad overheating problem

Started by chipwich, November 09, 2009, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: chipwich on November 10, 2009, 04:26:38 PM
what's the gpu intake and a psu?

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit, aka 'video card'

PSU = Power Supply Unit, they convert alternate current to direct current

The best way to remove dust from electronic components is indeed compressed air - sometimes just blowing can work wonders - but the intakes aren't electronic components, you can use tissues or cotton swabs to unclog them.

chipwich

Caliga

I've never used compressed air to clean dust out of my PC and it's been fine.  I usually just pick the dustballs out with my fingers and/or use a rag.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Isopropyl alcohol will make circuitry and other sensitive components as good as new without causing a mishap. Just make sure the rag you use does not build up electrostatic charge or leave threads. If you use compressed air to dust the case, be advised that it has to be clean air. If there is oil, water or other stuff in the compressor or tubing you will spray the boards with it.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on November 11, 2009, 02:18:30 PM
Isopropyl alcohol will make circuitry and other sensitive components as good as new without causing a mishap. Just make sure the rag you use does not build up electrostatic charge or leave threads. If you use compressed air to dust the case, be advised that it has to be clean air. If there is oil, water or other stuff in the compressor or tubing you will spray the boards with it.

You can buy a bottle of compressed air for a few bucks at your local computer shop.  It has resolved a few overheating problems for me in the past when I had my tower on the floor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.