News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

advpack.dll

Started by Josquius, November 11, 2009, 02:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm trying to install a game (supreme commander...for some reason) but everytime I click on setup I get a error message- Error creating process <c:\Temp\blah blah> Reason: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

I've tried all sorts to fix this- complete reinstalls of .net framework, restarting the computer (duh), changing my temp path to c:\temp, etc.... Everything googling throws at me.

Does anyone here have any clue what on earth is up and how I can fix it?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Try changing windows environment variables for the temp directory.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

MSDN thread about the advpack.dll error

I'm just linking the thread because there's a pretty wide variety of fixes described in that thread that all show the same symptom.  Without knowing the cause, it's just going to have to be systematic trial and error.

Last thing suggested is to make the root Temp folder yourself and modify the environment variables (in System in Control Panel) to point toward C:\Temp
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 11, 2009, 03:01:03 PM
What OS?
Oops, Xp of some sort, 32 bit.

QuoteTry changing windows environment variables for the temp directory.
What do you mean?
I've already changed the temp directory from some silly user place to c:/temp, what more?
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on November 11, 2009, 03:31:42 PM
What do you mean?
I've already changed the temp directory from some silly user place to c:/temp, what more?

Did you check the MSDN thread I linked?  There's a couple more possible causes, such as a corrupted installer for either the game or when you reinstalled .NET, or that advpack.dll itself could be corrupt and needs to be replaced.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 11, 2009, 09:19:40 PM
Did you check the MSDN thread I linked?  There's a couple more possible causes, such as a corrupted installer for either the game or when you reinstalled .NET, or that advpack.dll itself could be corrupt and needs to be replaced.
Yeah I looked at that thread.
I don't think .net is the problem - it wasn't working before and after reinstall.
I've tried replacing the .dll (as dodgy as I hear that is) and it doesn't work either.
The only answer is a corrupted game. Oh well, I wasn't so bothered about playing it anyway; it was more the annoyance of this blocking me that was getting me.
██████
██████
██████