News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Israel Too Strong for America?

Started by Queequeg, November 08, 2009, 12:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jos Theelen on November 09, 2009, 03:08:29 PM
The concessions to the Palestinians on the West Bank have caused a halt on suicidebombing. And compare the present situation with the situation in the 70's, 80's or 90's. How many planes are taken over by Palestinians since then?

Rabin died for nothing.  :(

Sure the situation was actually better in the 70s and 80s which is ridiculously absurd but then...this is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict where nothing makes any sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 09, 2009, 02:24:56 PM
Fatah's outrageous corruption would explain why Palestinians would vote for the other guy; it doesn't explain why the only other significant party out there to support is a notorious terrorist organization.

Thank you.  The entire reason Hamas is a significant political force capable of winning that election in the first place is because of their hardline anti-Israel position in the first place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Crazy_Ivan80

Interesting article but, I fear, terribly... optimistic (in its own weird way).

Quote"but because it is a Jewish state in which one community—Jews—is set above others, in an age when that sort of state has no place"

A state like this only seems to have no place in what are western-influenced sensibilities. As we can see there are states all over the world where there is something as described in the quote in place, with nary a person batting an eye. Even more, many of these states are mid-eastern states where if you're not arab or (sunni/shia) muslim (or in some cases both) you're a second or third rank citizen. In some cases this attitude is there because of nationalism/ethnicism (like morocco and it's second-tier berbers), in other cases because of religion (almost every muslim country vis-à-vis religious minorities), in a few cases because of both (like Malaysia)
The Palestinians suffer from this affliction too, probably because of religious sentiment (I guess).
So until attitudes change a bination state is unlikely to work. It'd only result in a new phase of acrimony as one group tries to gain the upper hand and twist the state towards its nefarious goals.
A bination jewish-palestinian state would suffer the same fate as Lebanon: dwindling non-muslim minorities until they eventually become irrelevant.

Valmy

The only possible positive outcome of the situation is the exact same one we wanted way back in the 40s: a partition of the territory into an Arab and a Jewish state.  Unfortunately the Arabs have never been very interested in that and now the Israelis are increasingly starting to agree with them.

I am not sure what the outcome will be...it seems incredible it can continue like this indefinitely but then it kinda has been I suppose.

Warspite

Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 12:18:18 PM
Did the Palestinians vote in Hamas to say fuck you to Israelis or because Fatah was outrageously corrupt?

Fatah's outrageous corruption would explain why Palestinians would vote for the other guy; it doesn't explain why the only other significant party out there to support is a notorious terrorist organization.

A failure of the political class.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Malthus

Quote from: Jos Theelen on November 09, 2009, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 11:02:26 AM
Your reasoning has been proven false by facts unfortunately.  Concessions to the Palestinians have proven to have exactly the opposite effect than what you are saying.  How can you possibly support the idea that making concessions will bring Israel money and peace given that fact?

The concessions to the Palestinians on the West Bank have caused a halt on suicidebombing. And compare the present situation with the situation in the 70's, 80's or 90's. How many planes are taken over by Palestinians since then?

Rabin died for nothing.  :(

Israelis tend to believe that the relative lack of suicide attacks on them is a function of the huge-ass wall they've built between themselves and the Palestinians on the WB.

As for lack of hijackings - airline security is now rather different than it was.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 03:22:06 PM

Well whatever the reason the effect is the same.  Any chance of any good things happening with the Palestinians is shot while Hamas controls Gaza.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2009, 03:21:36 PM
The only possible positive outcome of the situation is the exact same one we wanted way back in the 40s: a partition of the territory into an Arab and a Jewish state.  Unfortunately the Arabs have never been very interested in that and now the Israelis are increasingly starting to agree with them.

I am not sure what the outcome will be...it seems incredible it can continue like this indefinitely but then it kinda has been I suppose.

my thought too.
We'll see what happens but it's not something that'll be decided by US, EU or Russian mediation. It'll be settled by the Israelis and the Arabs. It my be relatively bloodless but I doubt it, given what went before.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2009, 02:53:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2009, 02:43:47 PM
David Horowitz is an American.  The New Republic is an American magazine.  Where is the "Israeli attack on Tony Judt?"
:Embarrass:
I am very embarrassed.  I meant the American right's attack on him.  He has a few articles in Haaretz, and at least until recently I think dialog about Israeli policy in Palestine was way more open in Israel than in the United States.

David Horowitz is a jackass and FrontPage is a joke.  Being attacked by him is meaningless.

The TNR thing is more serious b/c Judt was associated with them for many years, but it is more of a personal thing with Martin Peretz (the publisher) than reflecting anything broader about Judt's standing with the punditocracy in general.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 03:22:06 PM
Quote from: Warspite on November 09, 2009, 12:18:18 PM
Did the Palestinians vote in Hamas to say fuck you to Israelis or because Fatah was outrageously corrupt?

That's a tactful way to put it.  Another way to put it is a deeply dysfunctional political culture, characterized by intimidation, pervasive conspiratorial thinking and deliberate dissemination of disinformation and racist propaganda.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on November 09, 2009, 03:24:59 PM

Israelis tend to believe that the relative lack of suicide attacks on them is a function of the huge-ass wall they've built between themselves and the Palestinians on the WB.

As for lack of hijackings - airline security is now rather different than it was.

I think the wall has something to do with it as well.  The switch to rocket attacks indicates that there was still a desire to kill Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The article I read way back in the Atlantic on torture by that Blackhawk Down author claimed that a significant factor in the decrease in suicide bombings was the development of the Israeli intelligence services ability to track down and kill the enablers, planners, recruiters, etc.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2009, 03:35:35 PM

Quote"The theory that Japanese and Jews have common ancestry" were sold.

Huh?  :huh:

Well, technically, they do.  I'd suspect it's a pretty prosaic topic for a book, though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jos Theelen

QuoteIf the halt in westbank suicide bombings due to fewer attempts being made, or better and tighter security on behalf of the Israelis?  Same question for the decline in airline hijackings.

Which concessions are you referring to?  The big wave of suicide bombings came after the concessions of Oslo.

Sure the situation was actually better in the 70s and 80s which is ridiculously absurd but then...this is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict where nothing makes any sense.

The whole situation today is far better than the situation in the last 40 years. The Palestinians have more or less a bit of their own state, the extremists are confined to the Gazastrip. Israelian civilians are much, much safer from suicide bombers. The last "real" war was in 1982 in Lebanon (around 17000 deaths, compare that with the present situation).

This makes perfectly sense. If you work hard to contain conflicts and  make concessions, you can end conflicts, like what happened in Spain, Belfast, Kosovo and other places. Rabin and other Israelian leaders understood that, some Palestinian leaders understand that as well. It will takea lot  more time, but that's what you get in a 50 years old conflict.

The people who think that concessions are futile, have no effect, are contraproductive or are defeats, are wrong. People who don't want to make concessions, have to fight their whole life.