And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Israel Too Strong for America?

Started by Queequeg, November 08, 2009, 12:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on November 08, 2009, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2009, 02:49:11 PM
It was a diplomatic defeat for Obama.  But I doubt the American public was sufficiently invested in a settlement freeze for it to qualify as a defeat for America.
To be honest, I think that it most clearly is in our national interest to freeze settlement growth, and eventually roll it back.    :unsure:
But in real life, it isn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2009, 02:49:11 PM
It was a diplomatic defeat for Obama.  But I doubt the American public was sufficiently invested in a settlement freeze for it to qualify as a defeat for America.
To be honest, I think that it most clearly is in our national interest to freeze settlement growth, and eventually roll it back.    :unsure:

You are confusing means with ends.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

That determination relies on way too many unknowns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
I can think of just one: the willingness of the Palestinian people and leadership to respond in kind to the gesture.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2009, 03:12:30 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
I can think of just one: the willingness of the Palestinian people and leadership to respond in kind to the gesture.

Not an unknown.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 02:52:42 PM
Hitler Youth would not want Israel to expand  :mad:

The local Neo-Nazis here in Norway have decided to stop being anti-semites. They are well impressed by Joo fighting strength and after careful consideration had decided that Joos are not untermenchen and besides, the neo-nazis like the killing arabs bit.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2009, 03:15:24 PM

The local Neo-Nazis here in Norway have decided to stop being anti-semites. They are well impressed by Joo fighting strength and after careful consideration had decided that Joos are not untermenchen and besides, the neo-nazis like the killing arabs bit.

A nice paradox. I have another: antisemite party in a state in which Jews are 0.0025 percent of the total population...  :P

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 03:20:53 PM

A nice paradox. I have another: antisemite party in a state in which Jews are 0.0025 percent of the total population...  :P

Not that uncommon.. it's like that all over the arab world. But then again, almost all political parties in the arab world are antisemitic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 08, 2009, 03:02:07 PM

I don't see how Middle-East stabilization (let alone peace) is accomplished while Likud and their far-right buddies are colonizing the West Bank.  One should be a part of the other. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 08, 2009, 03:20:53 PM

I've a better paradox: anti-semitism as a pop culture theme in a place that has no Jews at all, and never did: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism_in_Japan

QuoteIn this book, Kubota spread the rumor that Enola Gay means "Kill the Emperor" in Yiddish.

:D

QuoteIn 1936, lieutenant general Shioden Nobutaka (四王天延孝), translated the Protocols into Japanese. Shioden became a believer in a Jewish conspiracy while he was studying in France. According to Dr. David Kranzler, "The key to the distinction between the Japanese and the European form of antisemitism seems to lie in the long Christian tradition of identifying the Jew with the Devil, the Antichrist or someone otherwise beyond redemption ... The Japanese lacked this Christian image of the Jew and brought to their reading of the Protocols a totally different perspective. The Christian tried to solve the problem of the Jew by eliminating him; the Japanese tried to harness his alleged immense wealth and power to Japan's advantage."

:lol: :lol:

One bizzare feature of Japanese anti-Semitism: the Japanese who believe in this stuff are as likely to admire Jews for their "success" (in ruling the world) as they are to hate & fear them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on November 08, 2009, 03:28:05 PM
I don't see how Middle-East stabilization (let alone peace) is accomplished while Likud and their far-right buddies are colonizing the West Bank.  One should be a part of the other.
Is the stabilization of the Middle East in the US national interest?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

Well once the ayarbs leave the west bank there will be stability.

The Minsky Moment

I don't see how Middle-East stabilization (let alone peace) is accomplished while Likud and their far-right buddies are colonizing the West Bank. 

It doesn't
The next question: does it get accomplished even if the Likud coaliation temporarily halts the settlements?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson