News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do all quad cores whine?

Started by Josquius, November 07, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I don't know exactly why, but while my computer is whisper-quiet normally, whenever the DVD drive spools up it causes a hell of a racket for a few seconds.

Not usually an issue, but unfortunately Dragon Age requires the disk to be in the drive. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2009, 01:37:06 PM
I don't know exactly why, but while my computer is whisper-quiet normally, whenever the DVD drive spools up it causes a hell of a racket for a few seconds.
Same here.  I think that that is just the nature of the beast.  Ironically, my HDDs are small enough to implement the noise dampening built into my case, but the noisier DVD drive is too large to fit the rubber mounts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 08, 2009, 10:05:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2009, 01:37:06 PM
Same here.  I think that that is just the nature of the beast.  Ironically, my HDDs are small enough to implement the noise dampening built into my case, but the noisier DVD drive is too large to fit the rubber mounts.

If you think *your* DVD drive is noisy, my kid broke off the front plate of the tray on mine a few days ago & I can't find the piece.  So it's louder than my Xbox now.

Which is fine by me, because it makes it look even more like I need to replace my whole system :shifty:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I just noticed a sound coming from my work PC.  It's a dual core, not a quad core.  I've been working on a very complicated Excel workbook, and every time I made a change that forced it to recalculate everything, CPU usage went to 100% for both cores for a couple of seconds. 

As it was doing it, I was hearing a sound like a hair dryer spooling up from my PC.  I guess all high-powered PCs generate a ton of heat when they're utilized to their full capacity, and that forces the CPU fan to really get its ass in gear.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM
I guess all high-powered PCs generate a ton of heat when they're utilized to their full capacity, and that forces the CPU fan to really get its ass in gear.

FYPFY.  Multi-core processors run HOT.  The Athlon X2 64 in my laptop routinely comes in around 60-65C per core.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 23, 2009, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM
I guess all high-powered PCs generate a ton of heat when they're utilized to their full capacity, and that forces the CPU fan to really get its ass in gear.

FYPFY.  Multi-core processors run HOT.  The Athlon X2 64 in my laptop routinely comes in around 60-65C per core.
Laptops also run HOT.  Multi-cores in laptops is piling Pelion upon Ossa.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2010, 12:31:30 PM
Laptops also run HOT.  Multi-cores in laptops is piling Pelion upon Ossa.
I was aware of this, but it's the first time I've had normal core temps come in above 50-55C.

Hell, my overclocked Celeron desktop came in at 49C.  No fan, just thermal paste and heat sink.
Experience bij!