Freedom of religion (rather than civil rights) as a "template" for gay rights?

Started by Martinus, November 07, 2009, 06:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 12:14:25 PM
I don't see what changing the analogy accomplishes.

IMO there is merit to in the gay marriage debate. One of the reasons listed in the House Committee report on the Defense of Marriage Act was to uphold Judaeo-Christian norms. With the implication being, of course, that rabbis, Episcopalians, Quakers, and now Lutherans aren't part of Judaeo-Christian society. It is very interesting to me that we are comfortable with a government deciding which religion's are wrong.

There are a lot of fascinating colonial and revolutionary american parallels to this, interestingly.

Of course, the other question is why Americans feel we can criticize Arab nations for the role religion plays in their society when we're quite happy with it here.

Strix

Quote from: Faeelin on November 07, 2009, 12:22:46 PM
Of course, the other question is why Americans feel we can criticize Arab nations for the role religion plays in their society when we're quite happy with it here.

I don't know? Honor killings? Terrorism? Lack of equal rights for woman? Killing of homosexuals?

I am uncertain perhaps you could enlighten me.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Strix on November 07, 2009, 12:44:13 PM
I don't know? Honor killings? Terrorism? Lack of equal rights for woman? Killing of homosexuals?

Yeah, "religion playing a role in their society" isn't the problem, it's the specific ways in which it does so.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Faeelin

I never said the Islamic world is better than America. The place absolutely sucks. But it seems like a difference of degrees. The religious right has pretty been dead set against treating gays and lesbians as equals for decades; it was only thirty years ago that they tried to pass a law so that gay and lesbians couldn't become teachers; they support the right to fire people on the basis of sexual orientation at every chance, lest society "approve" of an immoral lifestyole; they oppose the ability for me to adopt a child, because somehow me, a twenty-something lawyer in New York making a six figure salary is a worse parent than most people; and that any relationships I have don't deserve teh same protections as everyone else.

The basic rationale for all of this, is that God hates fags. So I'm glad that I'm no longer killed, but let's not pretend the goal isn't to make me a second class citizen based on God hates fags.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on November 07, 2009, 01:15:31 PM

I never said the Islamic world is better than America. The place absolutely sucks. But it seems like a difference of degrees. The religious right has pretty been dead set against treating gays and lesbians as equals for decades; it was only thirty years ago that they tried to pass a law so that gay and lesbians couldn't become teachers; they support the right to fire people on the basis of sexual orientation at every chance, lest society "approve" of an immoral lifestyole; they oppose the ability for me to adopt a child, because somehow me, a twenty-something lawyer in New York making a six figure salary is a worse parent than most people; and that any relationships I have don't deserve teh same protections as everyone else.

The basic rationale for all of this, is that God hates fags. So I'm glad that I'm no longer killed, but let's not pretend the goal isn't to make me a second class citizen based on God hates fags.
How do you account for my desire to turn you into a second-class citizen?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2009, 01:23:21 PM
How do you account for my desire to turn you into a second-class citizen?

Rational extension of your belief that everyone other than you and your (favored) sires being second-class citizens?

Syt

me, a twenty-something lawyer in New York making a six figure salary is a worse parent than most people;

That has nothing to do with you being gay and all with you being a lawyer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Strix

Thank you for proving my point. The US is a country founded in deep religious principles and practices. It's founders realized that could lead to future issues and created safeguards.

This is why the "God hates fags" crowd is losing and will inevitable lose.  You correctly pointed out attempts by a segment of society to oppress another segment of society that did not succeed. That is what's great about this country and it's government. Is our society perfect? No, of course not. It's making strides year by year and day by day to overturn older notions that no longer have a place in the world (Sorry Neil).

How much has the Islamic world changed in the last few years? decades? centuries?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Strix on November 07, 2009, 02:45:25 PM
How much has the Islamic world changed in the last few years? decades? centuries?

Well, the did get kicked out of Spain. Sorta.

garbon

I like the my Little Pony one! :w00t: :wub:

I think I gave away my ponies though. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2009, 06:18:16 PM
I like the my Little Pony one! :w00t: :wub:

I think I gave away my ponies though. :(

A friend at school had all the Transformers, Masters of the Universe, Mask etc. toys. Imagine my surprise when I once opened an incosnpicuous closet in his room to find what looked like the interior of a dollhouse with his sister's My Little Pony collection in it.

Last I heard he's a mysogynist bodybuilder who hooks up with girls to mentally mess them up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2009, 12:14:25 PM
I don't see what changing the analogy accomplishes.

In purely intellectual/logical way, many of the arguments levied against equal rights for non-heterosexuals can be equally well used against granting equal rights to people of other religions. So using a better analogy means it can't be as easily debunked as an analogy to, say, the civil rights movement which is not similar in some ways.

From a purely PR perspective, many of the gay rights' opponents are religious people - so they may be more receptive to comparing it to the freedom they hold very dear but one that also does not make sense from their faith's point of view - after all, from a point of view of a Christian, someone who is a Muslim or a Buddhist is damning his or her soul much more than someone who is gay.