Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2009, 01:52:05 PM
Which means that Alatriste should be waiting for the apple e-book reader. :P

It's the iPhone.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on November 06, 2009, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2009, 01:52:05 PM
Which means that Alatriste should be waiting for the apple e-book reader. :P

It's the iPhone.

Apparently they're coming out with a larger form-factor though, where it's expected that text (and movies) will be the "killer app".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2009, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
I really like the look of them but I've no intention of being a early adopter and paying big money for a inferior product, I'm gonna wait a few years.
I think at this point you don't have to worry about being an early adopter. They've been out for several years.
The early adopter stage of innovation diffusion is typically very strung out.
There's a guy in my department doing a study on the potential of these e-book things and he doesn't think we've gotten anywhere with them yet
██████
██████
██████

garbon

That's nice. According to wikipedia they've been out since 1998.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2009, 09:34:56 PM
That's nice. According to wikipedia they've been out since 1998.
And digital cameras have been around since 1990.
It still wasn't until this decade that they became anything like widespread.
Lets not even mention mobile phones.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

By the time I got a digital camera at the end of the 90s, everyone I knew already had one...

And yeah, we shouldn't start on mobile phones because they aren't at all comparable. The e-books around have been quite affordable for a while...whereas mobile phones didn't become affordable until late 80s/early 90s and and by 97/98 were quite commonplace.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.