Poll: What browser should I configure to my liking?

Started by Lucidor, November 03, 2009, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As stated above

Internet Explorer
4 (18.2%)
Firefox
13 (59.1%)
Google Chrome
3 (13.6%)
Opera
4 (18.2%)
Other, please specify
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Cerr

Opera is my main browser. I occasionally use Firefox as well.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2009, 01:11:00 AM
Why?  If everybody in the world uses IE, then a tech's job is much easier.
:yes: Our IT folks don't "permit" staff to use any browser other than IE, so they won't have to support multiple apps.  I dunno about everyone else but I have local admin rights so I could install another browser if I wanted, but IE is fine for my purposes, and in fact required for one of the web based apps I work on.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Lucidor on November 03, 2009, 04:16:37 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2009, 03:40:48 PM
Netscape Navigator
Weird, I used that one in high school at their computers, but then it just went away. Is it still there?
It died a slow and incredibly painful death.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2009, 10:26:31 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2009, 01:11:00 AM
Why?  If everybody in the world uses IE, then a tech's job is much easier.
:yes: Our IT folks don't "permit" staff to use any browser other than IE, so they won't have to support multiple apps.  I dunno about everyone else but I have local admin rights so I could install another browser if I wanted, but IE is fine for my purposes, and in fact required for one of the web based apps I work on.
Yes, it is easier, especially if you have to have web sites for internal use and don't want them looking differently. 

I'm a soft touch though, so long as its legal and doesn't cause me problems I let them do what they want to the computers, and if they wreck their system, they'll just have to wait until its fixed.
PDH!

Zanza

Quote from: bogh on November 04, 2009, 04:50:19 AMOur IT-department and policy specifically forbids installation of alternative browsers (people do it constantly anyway, though - and some of us do need them for our jobs). The basic idea is to have everyone use IE to focus on that security wise, plus we use tons of browser-based enterprise applications - those are not necessarily cross platform.
Same here. Problem is, they still use IE 6. :bleeding:

HisMajestyBOB

I use Firefox at work, and Safari at home. To be honest, I find myself liking Firefox more and more over Safari. The latter has some neat features that aren't in Firefox, but it's slower, especially when first opening, and you can't search your history by typing in the address bar like you can with Firefox.

I used Opera on my old iBook since the latest versions of Firefox, Safari, or IE (in fact, maybe not even IE 6 for mac) were supported, forcing me to use Opera to access Hotmail. It impressed me, but not enough to ditch Firefox for.

Quote from: Zanza on November 06, 2009, 01:49:22 AM
Quote from: bogh on November 04, 2009, 04:50:19 AMOur IT-department and policy specifically forbids installation of alternative browsers (people do it constantly anyway, though - and some of us do need them for our jobs). The basic idea is to have everyone use IE to focus on that security wise, plus we use tons of browser-based enterprise applications - those are not necessarily cross platform.
Same here. Problem is, they still use IE 6. :bleeding:

God, that's the default browser on my schools computers. I hate that shit with a passion. At least they don't care if I install Firefox on my computer.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

The thing with Internet Explorer is the only reason to use it is platform standardization.  So it makes me wonder why anyone besides a web developer would bother using it outside of a multi-user local network setting.  For casual users, I think it's actually dangerous- I don't even trust its security with industry-standard AV software.

Personal observation about speed: both Firefox and Safari take time to load, but Firefox actually takes so long to load that I opened it first, then opened Safari and answered that I wanted to set it to my default browser, and by the time Firefox had finished loading, it came up with the default browser question itself.  I don't know what they've done to the latest versions, but Firefox is starting to get slow.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Contrary to popular belief, people aren't consistenly trying to hack your computer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Lucidor

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2009, 09:28:46 AM
Contrary to popular belief, people aren't consistenly trying to hack your computer.
That's true.

Got Firefox again. It's more intuitive than Safari (perhaps it's that I've used it two years...) and I like the mouse gestures of FireGestures.

I Killed Kenny

if you like chrome, use Iron, it's the same without the spys