News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Republicans gaining more power Day!

Started by garbon, November 04, 2009, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2009, 09:30:46 AM
Plz be less crude, thx. :)

This isn't a popularity contest Garbon.  And crude or crass is my middle name.  I find it very useful when it comes to burst people's little conceit bubbles. ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

I don't know what you are talking about. Maybe it makes more sense in French?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I'm not very impressed that the Repubs won some governorships. Though the wins were big turn arounds in Independent voters, who had voted Dem/Obama heavily a year ago. But I can't find much to cheer about. I've already come to the thinking that it's not the parties which are the answer. The Repubs will do their own poor legislation, same as the Dems, and each party will have us annoyed that things are going as usual, once again. I guess that's why there are so many Independents - people who don't find either main party (or the few smaller ones) the answers; rather the system of legislation is badly skewed, as we see time after time now with Bush, Obama, and Congress controlled by Dems or Repubs and the legislation they put out, huge, over bearing, unread and certainly not understood by our own lawmakers. That at least is one aspect that needs major fixing regardless of the party, but each party is part of the broken process that keeps getting us in the same fix.

As for NY and the 23rd district. I was amazed, at first, at Republicans moving against the Repub candidate. But then I saw her views and it was more like a left wing Dem. She was for Union Card-Check, worked or supported with ACORN or had some affiliation, and I believe she was in favor of the health scare bombs being proposed by Congress. She was more like a liberal Dem than even a centrist Repub, it seems to me. However, she was picked by the district's Republican leaders, but she was going down in flames with the voters, hence why she dropped out. At the same time some national Republican leaders endorsed or opposed her. I think Gingrich supported her, while other names like Palin opposed.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2009, 09:38:17 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. Maybe it makes more sense in French?

The sentence was clear enough but whatever you say of course. :hug:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

This thread was primarily intended to bash on Obama.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on November 05, 2009, 09:41:01 AM

The sentence was clear enough but whatever you say of course. :hug:

G.

No, it seemed rather random and out of the blue. I thought maybe you had misposted.

Strix

Quote from: KRonn on November 05, 2009, 09:38:33 AM
I'm not very impressed that the Repubs won some governorships. Though the wins were big turn arounds in Independent voters, who had voted Dem/Obama heavily a year ago. But I can't find much to cheer about. I've already come to the thinking that it's not the parties which are the answer. The Repubs will do their own poor legislation, same as the Dems, and each party will have us annoyed that things are going as usual, once again. I guess that's why there are so many Independents - people who don't find either main party (or the few smaller ones) the answers; rather the system of legislation is badly skewed, as we see time after time now with Bush, Obama, and Congress controlled by Dems or Repubs and the legislation they put out, huge, over bearing, unread and certainly not understood by our own lawmakers. That at least is one aspect that needs major fixing regardless of the party, but each party is part of the broken process that keeps getting us in the same fix.

As for NY and the 23rd district. I was amazed, at first, at Republicans moving against the Repub candidate. But then I saw her views and it was more like a left wing Dem. She was for Union Card-Check, worked or supported with ACORN or had some affiliation, and I believe she was in favor of the health scare bombs being proposed by Congress. She was more like a liberal Dem than even a centrist Repub, it seems to me. However, she was picked by the district's Republican leaders, but she was going down in flames with the voters, hence why she dropped out. At the same time some national Republican leaders endorsed or opposed her. I think Gingrich supported her, while other names like Palin opposed.

Yes, the "real" Upstate New York is a fucked up area.  They flip-flop parties a ton. You will find a lot of Democrats that are Republicans who switched to get elected and vice-versa. Most just end up being independent after they have been in office long enough to run just on their names. The political corruption and dirty politics are hilarious to watch. I remember one election where the people in power removed a local popular politician who didn't want to go along with the current plan (the plan ended up with Plattsburgh losing their AFB, so the guy was right not to). First they played around with the date that you had to announce you were running so that he missed it (he always turned it in on the same day and it just happens that the people who accept the applications took an 8 hour lunch but didn't bother to tell anyone). So, he ran as an independent write-in. An odd thing happened where on 50% of the voting machines the line to write him in didn't match up with his name but rather that of his opponent. He still won by a few hundred votes but than they disqualified several hundred so that his opponent won.

You have to love the North Country!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher