News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hard disk partition

Started by Monoriu, November 01, 2009, 09:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on November 01, 2009, 09:01:04 PM
So, is there anyway I can put some of the space in D: back to C: in a relatively painless way?

I use Vista, BTW. 
Right-click My Computer and select 'Manage'
Go to storage - disk management
Select shrink volume on your second partition (D:).  Reduce size by whatever you want.
Select Expand volume on your first partition (C:).  Expand size by whatever you freed.

It's a safe procedure, but a backup is always recommended.  You never know when you'll get a power outage right in the middel of your resizing... ;)

ALTERNATIVE if the native Vista option doesn't work:
Find 'Gparted' online.
Download and burn onto a CD.
Boot on the CD. use it to change your partitions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Lucidor

Quote from: DGuller on November 02, 2009, 12:08:39 PM
That's why I like Windows 7.  Save games go God knows where.  You have to search for the file to know where save games are going, which is fun, because Microsoft modified the Windows search function to remove its functionality.  Thankfully there are some third-party search programs for those who want to find the files they're searching for.
Tips? I need a good one for Vista. Searching for stuff pretty often only gives you things that are in start menus and recently used files. That's retardeder than retardedest... :(

Alatriste

Quote from: grumbler on November 02, 2009, 11:54:57 AM
Mono, make sure "My Documents" is on the D drive.  That alone will solve many of these problems.  On XP, you can move it just by renaming it, and answering "yes" when the OS asks if you want to move the existing documents.

Partitioning makes sense for three reasons:
(1) It protects data from most viruses, which cannot see partitions;
(2) It makes defragmentation much, much faster (though it increases defragmentation a bit); and
(3) It allows for fairly painless reinstallation of the Operating System, so long as you keep a copy of the registry on your D drive or whatever.

I have 7 partitions between my two drives, and that works out great for my needs.

Amen. I only want to add that partitions help in organizing your files if you think a little beforehand and use each partition for a different purpose.

frunk

My standard setup is three partitions; one for the OS, one for other programs, one for data that I want backed up.

DGuller

Quote from: Lucidor on November 03, 2009, 01:51:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 02, 2009, 12:08:39 PM
That's why I like Windows 7.  Save games go God knows where.  You have to search for the file to know where save games are going, which is fun, because Microsoft modified the Windows search function to remove its functionality.  Thankfully there are some third-party search programs for those who want to find the files they're searching for.
Tips? I need a good one for Vista. Searching for stuff pretty often only gives you things that are in start menus and recently used files. That's retardeder than retardedest... :(
I use "Search Everything" on my Win 7.  It seems so simple and works so well that it just makse you wonder what the hell Microsoft was thinking by gutting its search feature.