News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scythian Art

Started by Queequeg, October 29, 2009, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Thought this was fascinating.  Really unique style. 

http://www.pitt.edu/~haskins/
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

Hey Squeelus, do you know the origin of the word dragoman?

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2009, 03:25:03 PM
Hey Squeelus, do you know the origin of the word dragoman?
Wikipedia says Akkadian through Arabic.  I'd trust it, as it has a consonantal root. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

National Geographic had a great article on the Scythians a while back. Lots of great gold art.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

And here's a link.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0306/feature7/index.html

EDIT: <_< Hmm...it doesn't seem to have the images posted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Is it me, or does this thready embody the essence of Spellus in its purest form?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on October 30, 2009, 06:39:29 AM
Is it me, or does this thready embody the essence of Spellus in its purest form?

The opening is too short, lacks rambling and obscure references nobody will understand.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2009, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: Warspite on October 30, 2009, 06:39:29 AM

The opening is too short, lacks rambling and obscure references nobody will understand.

Or weird love of dead societies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on October 30, 2009, 08:00:03 AM

Needs more frothing as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I think I'll have a heart attack the day Spellus starts a thread to tell us how much he admires chili dogs or Penthouse Letters or something remotely normal. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Good stuff, thanks for the link Spellus! And I'd rather discussion of this stuff, even though I can't add much. I was thinking though, of how much warfare and troubles all these civilizations went through, and how much that affected them, changed things, even snuffed out some civs. But then, that's still going on and in fact the last century was quite huge display of war and turmoil.