News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is FOX News really that bad?

Started by Syt, October 30, 2009, 11:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2009, 02:30:18 PM
I wish I got MSNBC on basic cable. I want to see the lefty versions of Beck & Hannity. :(
Can't you YouTube a sample?  Every show is pretty much the same.

Eddie Teach

It's not a particularly ardent wish. -_-
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: dps on October 30, 2009, 11:59:31 AM
I remember reading something written by a media watchdog type a few years back about Fox News.  He made the point that Fox News' actual news content actually is "fair and balanced" in that it is at least as objective and accurate as any other major news outlet, but it's editorial content and news discussion programs are clearly slanted towards a conservative viewpoint.  I tend to agree with him.

That's hilarious. Of course editorial content will be slanted in one way or another. The only real problem comes when the news are slanted and reported in such a way as to give a false impression of reality.

Hansmeister

Quote from: citizen k on October 30, 2009, 02:18:11 PM
CNN seems to be the only cable news network today that strives to be fair and balanced. And they're paying for it with their ratings.
MSNBC has become the mirror image of Fox. Fox has Hannity, O'Reilley and Beck. MSNBC has Olbermann, Maddow and Schultz. They're all preaching to their respective choirs.

CNN maes no effort to be fair and balanced, they only make an effort at obfuscating their editorial opinions as news.  I'll much rather have somebody flat out stating their opinions than hiding it under the pretense of news.

The reason nobody watches CNN is because most of their anchors seem to be self-important, condescending assholes.

PDH

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 30, 2009, 05:27:59 PM
The reason nobody watches CNN is because most of their anchors seem to be self-important, condescending assholes.
Weird that you should be able to spot these traits.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2009, 07:55:51 PM
Weird that you should be able to spot these traits.

He who smelt it.....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

I am more a pompous asshole. Just ask my ex-wife.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2009, 01:18:24 PM
Pay no attention to Raz.  FOX News is fine.  I do think it has a bit of a right lean, but not nearly as much of a lean as, say, CNN (which obviously goes the other way).  For example, over the past few months nearly every day on CNN.com there is some sob story on about how some moron did stupid shit that resulted in them being uninsured and now owing like millions in healthcare cost... the underlying message being OMFG WE NEED SOCIELIZED MEDICINE.

No. what you need is healthcare that isn't so overinflated in price that it costs millions. No procedure is actually worth the hundreds of thousands that people end up owing in the states. pharma and HMOs basically have licenses to print their own money.

my take is that while doctors and nurses should be well paid, the system is full of fatcat business types who are reaping nothing but profit from people's ill health.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: citizen k on October 30, 2009, 02:18:11 PM
CNN seems to be the only cable news network today that strives to be fair and balanced. And they're paying for it with their ratings.
MSNBC has become the mirror image of Fox. Fox has Hannity, O'Reilley and Beck. MSNBC has Olbermann, Maddow and Schultz. They're all preaching to their respective choirs.

CNN maes no effort to be fair and balanced, they only make an effort at obfuscating their editorial opinions as news.  I'll much rather have somebody flat out stating their opinions than hiding it under the pretense of news.

just like Fox & MSNBC and whatever other so called news outlets anyone watches everywhere. it's endemic to all news now (just from different slants)
:p

Eddie Teach

Fox has run a bunch of stories about how awful health care is in foreign countries btw. It's not just the editorials.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hansmeister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on October 30, 2009, 09:46:14 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 30, 2009, 01:18:24 PM
Pay no attention to Raz.  FOX News is fine.  I do think it has a bit of a right lean, but not nearly as much of a lean as, say, CNN (which obviously goes the other way).  For example, over the past few months nearly every day on CNN.com there is some sob story on about how some moron did stupid shit that resulted in them being uninsured and now owing like millions in healthcare cost... the underlying message being OMFG WE NEED SOCIELIZED MEDICINE.

No. what you need is healthcare that isn't so overinflated in price that it costs millions. No procedure is actually worth the hundreds of thousands that people end up owing in the states. pharma and HMOs basically have licenses to print their own money.

my take is that while doctors and nurses should be well paid, the system is full of fatcat business types who are reaping nothing but profit from people's ill health.

:lmfao:

Wow, what childlike naivete!

citizen k

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 30, 2009, 10:21:01 PM

It's true. My medicines cost $5000 per month. Can you explain to me, in childlike terms, why it should cost so much to get two shots?

Hansmeister

Quote from: citizen k on October 30, 2009, 11:33:05 PM

It's true. My medicines cost $5000 per month. Can you explain to me, in childlike terms, why it should cost so much to get two shots?
Oh, I don't know if you can grasp simple concepts like medical research costs a lot of money, particularly since 98% of research results in dead ends.

Jaron

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 31, 2009, 12:02:38 AM

*cough* Democrat
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HVC

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 31, 2009, 12:02:38 AM

Oh, I don't know if you can grasp simple concepts like medical research costs a lot of money, particularly since 98% of research results in dead ends.
Maybe i recall incorrectly, but last time we had a thread on this topic didn't someone show stats that in terms of spending Pharma companies advertising expenditures are greater then their R&D costs.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.