Ok, so what do you think?

Started by Strix, October 27, 2009, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Ok, I was looking at a computer with the following items in it...

Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor   
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English   
Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260   
6GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x 2GB) Tri Channel Memory   
640GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD

Would that make for a decent gaming system? And about how much would you pay for it? Or what should be upgraded?

Thanks
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DontSayBanana

Looks good for the most part, but unless you only want to play bleeding-edge games, you might want to go higher than Home Premium on the Windows front- Windows 7 Home Premium doesn't have XP Mode.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Yikes, that would definitely be overkill for me.  I'm not doing a whole lot of PC gaming these days-- my system build in the next couple months is going to be a joke by these standards :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

Looks good.  Might even be able to run HoI III

DGuller

Looks good for the most part, although the graphics card seems a little strange to me.  Why so much RAM on a detuned and somewhat old card?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on October 27, 2009, 12:26:30 PM
Looks good for the most part, although the graphics card seems a little strange to me.  Why so much RAM on a detuned and somewhat old card?

You can never have too much RAM.

I have 10GB, but I find myself wondering if I should fill those last 2 slots...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2009, 11:13:37 AM
You want a custom case.

The Packers are already working on their own prototype....

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2009, 01:08:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 27, 2009, 12:26:30 PM

You can never have too much RAM.

I have 10GB, but I find myself wondering if I should fill those last 2 slots...
I meant video RAM.  It just seemed like an odd combination, a mid-range card with more RAM than many high-end cards.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on October 27, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
I meant video RAM.  It just seemed like an odd combination, a mid-range card with more RAM than many high-end cards.

It's actually not that uncommon to see a midrange card with a ton of VRAM to pull in misinformed card buyers.  Look at third-party Radeons; they'll have a ton of memory, and then you find out they skimp on rendering pipes or processing power.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Make sure that GFX card has a lifetime warranty, in case that chip problem nVidia was having for the last 3 or 4 years is still going on.  If it still is, and your card takes a shit on you because of it, the various companies will generally replace it with whatever is "current" when it happens (upgrade  :cool:).

DGuller

Is it EVGA that has a lifetime warranty on its products?

MadBurgerMaker

XFX, BFG, and EVGA are the ones I'm pretty sure have some sort of lifetime warranty.

Edit:  Oh, for Beeb and the MacBook Pro he may or may not have: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377  Heh