News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2009-10 Hoops: Yo, mah Jordans, nigga

Started by CountDeMoney, October 25, 2009, 09:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2009, 10:50:40 AM
But it's not like the NBA is in danger of folding just because the TV ratings for the Finals are down.  They still make their millions and billions.

Actually, they're tightening their belts, as last season saw much lower benefits. Salary cap is going down, and player salaries are also lowering a lot. You see guys that used to make more than 10 millions per year feeling lucky if they manage to get 3 millions this year. Granted, it's in the bizarro world of pro sport salaries, but they're feeling the economic crush as well.

Berkut

They should tighten things up and reinstate the "no-underclassmen" rule.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 11:24:57 AM

Then you'd get those same players bolting to European leagues, rather than staying in college. Think Brandon Jennings or Josh Childress.

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2009, 11:28:15 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 11:24:57 AM

Then you'd get those same players bolting to European leagues, rather than staying in college. Think Brandon Jennings or Josh Childress.

Not really. Some might, but for the most part the better bet is to just play in the US colleges, assuming you want to play in the NBA eventually.

It is a moot point, since those restrictions won't make it past a court case anyway.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 11:17:52 AMIn the NBA you combine a large number of games with everyone making the post-season.

:huh: 

Edit:  Oh, and the NBA and NHL seasons are the same number of games, and the same number of teams (16) make the playoffs.  They also both have the same total number of teams (30). 

Be sure to ask the Suns about everyone making it, and the Mavericks fans about how little they care about the first round because ffffff boring matchup.  ;)

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 26, 2009, 11:53:45 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 11:17:52 AMIn the NBA you combine a large number of games with everyone making the post-season.

:huh: 

Edit:  Oh, and the NBA and NHL seasons are the same number of games, and the same number of teams (16) make the playoffs.  They also both have the same total number of teams (30). 

I don't care about the NHL either though, so you aren't selling me there.

And 16/30 make the playoffs? That is ridiculous. I never said anything about boring first round games, I said that many games with that many teams making the playoffs makes the regular season largely uninteresting. If you cannot make the playoffs when more than half the teams make it, you got no bitch.

And for the same reason, I hate that most NCAA conferences now have Conference tournaments, although at least the Pac-10 does not acknowledge the Pac-10 conference tourny champion as the Pac-10 champion, no matter what Washington thinks.

0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 12:18:38 PM
I don't care about the NHL either though, so you aren't selling me there.

I don't care about selling you, it just seemed like you thought there was some sort of difference in the playoff format between the two.  There's not really, unless the NHL has some kind of gimmicky seeding system going on.

QuoteAnd 16/30 make the playoffs? That is ridiculous. I never said anything about boring first round games, I said that many games with that many teams making the playoffs makes the regular season largely uninteresting. If you cannot make the playoffs when more than half the teams make it, you got no bitch.

While I rather liked the shorter season that came about because of the strike (probably wouldn't want it to be THAT short every year though), the regular season does really matter, especially when it comes to who wins the divisions, etc.  The three division winners go as the 1,2,3 seeds (ordered by overall record).  The #4 team is chosen as the team with the best record that didn't win the division, then the teams with the next best records are added.  This makes it so a really good team can have the second best record in the league, but if the team with the best record wins the division, those other scrubs the #4 seed, which in turn means they have to fight their way through a first round series against the #5 instead of the #8. 

The 16 teams making it means you can have 3 playoff rounds without dumbass bye weeks+the Finals.  It also makes it so you can have a team that only won 42 games absolutely annihilate the 67 win juggernaut in the first round, or the really goddamn good team that couldn't quite win their division get knocked out by a 5 seed in a game that wouldn't happen under the division winner+wild card type system.  Shit...remember when the Clippers actually won a playoff series a couple years back?  6 seed, and pretty far back from the 4.  Not even sniffing the playoffs in an MLB style system. 

Here's the regular season standings for that Clippers year: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2006&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=standings  See: Dallas

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I totally dig the MLB and NFL playoffs, but I certainly don't want any changes to the NBA and NHL styles either.   I think the different types work out for those different sports.  Kind of undecided on conference tournaments.

Berkut

You are arguing that the regular season REALLY matter because of seeding. I guess. I don't really buy it though - you cannot convince me that the pressure to seed well is as intense as "Hey, if you don't win more than you lose, you simply won't be in the playoffs".

Why limit it to just 16 then? Lets get REALLY exciting and just have everyone make the playoffs! It won't diminish from the regular season, since everyone will be playing for seeding, and I guess that is just as important anyway! You cannot have it both ways - it cannot be super important to get good seeding, when apparently you can win it all even if you have crap seeding.

NBA == boring.

Blech.

0 rows returned

Barrister

The CFL has 6 of it's 8 teams make the playoffs, and I still find the regular season to be exciting.  :Canuck:

I think it's just that there are too many damn games in NHL/NBA.  Why the hell should I care about 82 games?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2009, 01:03:25 PM
The CFL has 6 of it's 8 teams make the playoffs, and I still find the regular season to be exciting.  :Canuck:

I think it's just that there are too many damn games in NHL/NBA.  Why the hell should I care about 82 games?

It might be exciting, but it clearly doesn't matter.

6/8?

Canadians.

0 rows returned

ulmont

The CFL has 6 of it's 8 teams make the playoffs

How do you structure a playoff for 6 times, and why not just have the other 2 involved?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 01:01:07 PM
You are arguing that the regular season REALLY matter because of seeding. I guess. I don't really buy it though - you cannot convince me that the pressure to seed well is as intense as "Hey, if you don't win more than you lose, you simply won't be in the playoffs".

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, really.  I'm simply trying to explain to you how it works, since you apparently don't even get the basics, and some of the things that have happened, both exceptional (Golden State) and relatively routine (5 beating 4) that wouldn't happen at all in a different system, since you've apparently never actually even seen what you're attempting to talk about.

And yeah, having more losses than wins isn't a good way to get into the playoffs in the NBA.  Last year, there was one in the Eastern Conference, Detroit of all teams, with the West cutting it off at a .585 percentage.  West 1 beat East 3 in the Finals.

QuoteWhy limit it to just 16 then? Lets get REALLY exciting and just have everyone make the playoffs! It won't diminish from the regular season, since everyone will be playing for seeding, and I guess that is just as important anyway! You cannot have it both ways - it cannot be super important to get good seeding, when apparently you can win it all even if you have crap seeding.

Don't be a fucking idiot. 

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on October 26, 2009, 10:43:09 AM
Traditionally in the US we have the big three: football, baseball, basketball and then you throw hockey in there for the northern part of the coutry.  We seasonally follow them: baseball in summer, football in fall, basketball in winter.  If we only had one big sport, like the Euros do for soccer, then yeah it would be logical to go year round.

I support your plan, and suggest "football" as the one big sport.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on October 26, 2009, 01:16:39 PM
The CFL has 6 of it's 8 teams make the playoffs

How do you structure a playoff for 6 times, and why not just have the other 2 involved?

League is divided into 2 divisions of 4.

1st place gets a bye into the division final.  #2 and #3 play in the semi-final.

And the regular season is very meaningful.  There are 2 games left, and for one example Winnipeg and Hamilton are tied for 2nd place with 7-9 records.  In the West it's almost all up for grabs, with Saskatchewan and Calgary tied for 1st place with 9-6-1 records, while BE (8-8) and Edmonton (7-9) nipping at their heels.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 26, 2009, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2009, 01:01:07 PM

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, really.  I'm simply trying to explain to you how it works, since you apparently don't even get the basics, and some of the things that have happened, both exceptional (Golden State) and relatively routine (5 beating 4) that wouldn't happen at all in a different system, since you've apparently never actually even seen what you're attempting to talk about.
[

Oh please, like this is ever so complicated, and the mechanics need "explaining". You are certainly trying to convince me when you say "Oh, the regular season is REALLY important!". That has nothing to do with mechanics.

Don't be an ass, of course I have seen the NBA playoffs.

And yeah, having more losses than wins isn't a good way to get into the playoffs in the NBA.

I don't imagine it is. What is your point?
  Last year, there was one in the Eastern Conference, Detroit of all teams, with the West cutting it off at a .585 percentage.  West 1 beat East 3 in the Finals.

So? How does that show that a system where more than ahlf the teams make the playoffs does not diminaish the importance of the regualr season comapred to sports where you have to actually be better than average to make the playoffs?

It's not like the NBA is the only one out there that has this incredible concept of "seeding".
QuoteWhy limit it to just 16 then? Lets get REALLY exciting and just have everyone make the playoffs! It won't diminish from the regular season, since everyone will be playing for seeding, and I guess that is just as important anyway! You cannot have it both ways - it cannot be super important to get good seeding, when apparently you can win it all even if you have crap seeding.

Don't be a fucking idiot. 

Ahhh, I see my point is without rebuttal. Thanks for the concession.

If 16/30 is great, why not make it 24/30? Or 28/30? Or all 30?

0 rows returned