"Henry V's Greatest Victory Is Beseiged by Academia"

Started by stjaba, October 24, 2009, 03:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I want to play the Agincourt scenario from Men of Iron now. I'd get stuck playing the french though.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Bring in a unit of Char B1 Bis from ASL and fuck the mud and the shitty English.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 26, 2009, 07:52:52 PM
I want to play the Agincourt scenario from Men of Iron now. I'd get stuck playing the french though.  :(

PBEM?  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on October 26, 2009, 10:37:07 PM
Bring in a unit of Char B1 Bis from ASL and fuck the mud and the shitty English.

It would be like that one desert storm game with the joke Godzilla counter. Since the game was so hideously unbalanced.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alatriste

Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2009, 08:32:21 AM
The "invasion" of William and Mary is generally not counted as such, since although the pair arrived with a large army, it was by invitation. In essence parliament contracted out for a better monarch.  :lol:

First of all, neither the Parliament nor the Commons invited William and Mary to England... the "Inmortal Seven" (just one bishop and six noblemen) did! Actually, they had no trust at all in that Parliament, the cornerstone of their plan was the election of a new one (read William's proclamation) Second, "generally" must mean "generally in England" because the Dutch themselves certainly aren't included...

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on October 28, 2009, 05:23:10 AM
First of all, neither the Parliament nor the Commons invited William and Mary to England... the "Inmortal Seven" (just one bishop and six noblemen) did! Actually, they had no trust at all in that Parliament, the cornerstone of their plan was the election of a new one (read William's proclamation) Second, "generally" must mean "generally in England" because the Dutch themselves certainly aren't included...
First of all, Parliament itself couldn't meet and issue the invitation, because James has dismissed it.   The "Immortal Seven" included, in fact, the leaders of the Tory and Whig wings of Parliament!  Had Parliament actually been in session, there is no question that they would have approved, and they certainly approved retroactively.

Second, "generally" must mean more than just inn England, because the Dutch themselves consider this to be a friendly act and not an invasion, and it is viewed as such in the US as well.  maybe it is not taught that way in Spanish schools, but I think the evidence is abundant that the overwhelming majority of the English of the time considered this a friendly act (though many Scots and Irish might disagree).

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Alatriste on October 28, 2009, 05:23:10 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 26, 2009, 08:32:21 AM
The "invasion" of William and Mary is generally not counted as such, since although the pair arrived with a large army, it was by invitation. In essence parliament contracted out for a better monarch.  :lol:

James had lost all credibility in England. The "invitation" was generally approved; certainly the army and navy made no objections. Hence the usual title "Glorious Revolution" rather than "Dutch Invasion".

The fact that the former title is appropriate is demonstrated by the subsequent events - the creation of a limited, constitutional monarchy, complete with an effective bill of rights.

Apparently, William was opposed to this (it provided for severe limitations on his rights and effectively imposed parliamentary supremacy on him). Odd then, if his rule was the result of a successful invasion by force of arms, that its effect was to make the monarch abide by parliament - something parliament could never get its Stewart monarchs to do!  :lol:

His coercing by Parliament speaks volumes about what really went on. Certainly *he* was under no illusions that he was there by dint of military might alone.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius