US Senate adds gays to hate crime legislation

Started by Capetan Mihali, October 23, 2009, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM
I don't see goths on that list, or trekkies, or the flat earth society.  So apparently not all groups are on the list.  An I don't know where you think I acknowledge that all groups are protected.

Oh. So you do not in fact think it's a hate crime to attack people based on race regardless of whether the victim is white or black? Or do you really think flat earthers are often attacked?  I would be more concerned about adding those groups if I thought trekkie on jedi violence was a major concern for society.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 07:00:54 PM
Why would the other gays have to be "in a heightened state of fear" any more than the neighbors once the perp is locked up?

I dunno Hans, why don't you explain to me how terrorism works again?

Strix

Quote from: Fireblade on October 23, 2009, 06:00:24 PM
This thread is great. Hans and Strix just got PWNT by two gay lawyers, a Jewish lawyer, a Mexican teacher, and the Sheilbh of America himself, Capitan Mihali.

:zzz:

Funny, I thought of them as Marty, Jaron, etc, and so on. I guess it's too much to expect someone from AR-Kansas to see minorities as individuals.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on October 23, 2009, 07:05:18 PM
Oh. So you do not in fact think it's a hate crime to attack people based on race regardless of whether the victim is white or black? Or do you really think flat earthers are often attacked?  I would be more concerned about adding those groups if I thought trekkie on jedi violence was a major concern for society.
I've never heard of a New Zealander being beaten up for being a New Zealander, but there they are on the list.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2009, 09:10:21 PM
I've never heard of a New Zealander being beaten up for being a New Zealander, but there they are on the list.

That's a fair point, but I would leave all nationalities on the list than start breaking it up according to what nationalities are more vulnerable at the current moment in America.

citizen k

Quote from: Faeelin on October 23, 2009, 11:38:25 PM
That's a fair point, but I would leave all nationalities on the list than start breaking it up according to what nationalities are more vulnerable at the current moment in America.

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

Are my eyes bleeding enough?

Faeelin

Quote from: citizen k on October 23, 2009, 11:43:18 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on October 23, 2009, 11:38:25 PM

Are my eyes bleeding enough?

Sure, why not.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 23, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Feckin' Kiwi had it comin'. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM
I don't see goths on that list, or trekkies, or the flat earth society.  So apparently not all groups are on the list.  An I don't know where you think I acknowledge that all groups are protected.

I think the entire concept of a "hate crime" is rather absurd.  But then of course you make my point when you exclaim certain groups needing extra special protection from the law.  No group of people need more protection than other groups.  Or as I prefer to put it, no individual needs more protection in kaw than any other individual.  Isn't that the whole point of "equal protection under the law?"

DGuller

The point of hate crimes is to punish crimes that are meant to terrorize whole groups, with the actual victim merely being an unlucky example.  There are plenty of examples in American history of crimes with such a motivation being committed, and not doling out special punishment for such domestic acts of terror is what's absurd.

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2009, 03:06:06 AM
The point of hate crimes is to punish crimes that are meant to terrorize whole groups, with the actual victim merely being an unlucky example.  There are plenty of examples in American history of crimes with such a motivation being committed, and not doling out special punishment for such domestic acts of terror is what's absurd.

What I find funny about your argument is that it's the opposite of what you argue when it comes to the Sex Offender Registry but the same concept applies here. Hate crime legislation fails in America because it paints whole segments of criminal society with a broad stroke of the brush. Just as Sex Offender legislation does.  The kid who screams "Take that you queer motherfucker" during a fight deserves extra time while the potential repeat sex offender placed on the list because of a borderline offense deserves a second chance?

Oh right, nevermind, hate crime only punishes the majority, so that's ok.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Faeelin

Quote from: Strix on October 24, 2009, 08:55:32 AM
What I find funny about your argument is that it's the opposite of what you argue when it comes to the Sex Offender Registry but the same concept applies here. Hate crime legislation fails in America because it paints whole segments of criminal society with a broad stroke of the brush. Just as Sex Offender legislation does.  The kid who screams "Take that you queer motherfucker" during a fight deserves extra time while the potential repeat sex offender placed on the list because of a borderline offense deserves a second chance?

Who are you talking to?

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on October 24, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Hate crimes do no such thing.  They add extra penalties to criminals who paint whole segments of lawful society with a broad stroke of the brush.  Your argument is quite absurd, the motivation of a KKK member lynching a black guy and a sex offender molesting a child are radically different.

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2009, 03:06:06 AM

Sorry, the idea of using motivation in determining punishment violates equal protection under the law.