US Senate adds gays to hate crime legislation

Started by Capetan Mihali, October 23, 2009, 12:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 05:43:39 PM
An no, police officers are not especially protected under the law, law enforcement will just work harder to protect one of their own and punish a cop-killer.
I'm quite certain you are wrong. Of course it may vary from a jurisdiction to a jurisdiction, but I am willing to bet you $1,000 there are at least some states in the US where killing a cop carries a heavier penalty than killing a non-cop, by the statute.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on October 23, 2009, 05:47:41 PM
An no, police officers are not especially protected under the law, law enforcement will just work harder to protect one of their own and punish a cop-killer.
I'm quite certain you are wrong. Of course it may vary from a jurisdiction to a jurisdiction, but I am willing to bet you $1,000 there are at least some states in the US where killing a cop carries a heavier penalty than killing a non-cop, by the statute.

I sure hope not! That would be wrong!

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 05:46:42 PM
You don't have to go to South Africa for that.  Black-on-white crime is far more common that white-on-black crime.  Black racists are far more common than white racists (see White House).  Of course white-on-white and black-on-black crime is vastly more common than crime across racial divides.

I missed you.  :hug:

Fireblade

Martinus

Quote from: Faeelin on October 23, 2009, 05:49:49 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 05:46:42 PM
You don't have to go to South Africa for that.  Black-on-white crime is far more common that white-on-black crime.  Black racists are far more common than white racists (see White House).  Of course white-on-white and black-on-black crime is vastly more common than crime across racial divides.

I missed you.  :hug:

Wait till he shows you statistics of all these gay gangs getting together to beat up breeders coming out of hetero clubs. ;)

Jaron

For an even better laugh, do what I do: when you read anything Hans posts, just imagine that high pitched voice reading it to you.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Fireblade

The funniest thing is, I'm a Southern White Male and not in the LEAST bit threatened by blacks, Mexicans, Arabs, Jews, gays, or anything else.

But keep on pissing your pants, you too.

Fireblade

Quote from: Jaron on October 23, 2009, 05:52:42 PM
For an even better laugh, do what I do: when you read anything Hans posts, just imagine that high pitched voice reading it to you.

LOL, the best thing is, Hans would probably get lynched for being a faggot down here.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on October 23, 2009, 05:47:41 PM

In Canada, killing a cop who is working in the line of duty is an automatic first degree murder sentence.

Quote231. (1) Murder is first degree murder or second degree murder.

Planned and deliberate murder

(2) Murder is first degree murder when it is planned and deliberate.

Contracted murder

(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (2), murder is planned and deliberate when it is committed pursuant to an arrangement under which money or anything of value passes or is intended to pass from one person to another, or is promised by one person to another, as consideration for that other's causing or assisting in causing the death of anyone or counselling another person to do any act causing or assisting in causing that death.

Murder of peace officer, etc.

(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is

(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff's officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;

(b) a warden, deputy warden, instructor, keeper, jailer, guard or other officer or a permanent employee of a prison, acting in the course of his duties; or

(c) a person working in a prison with the permission of the prison authorities and acting in the course of his work therein.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Fireblade

This thread is great. Hans and Strix just got PWNT by two gay lawyers, a Jewish lawyer, a Mexican teacher, and the Sheilbh of America himself, Capitan Mihali.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Fireblade on October 23, 2009, 05:50:52 PM
Obama isn't racist, Hans.

He was a 20-year member of a racist religious cult.  Sorry, the evidence is pretty clear there.  But then again, I'm just a typical white man, clinging to my guns and my bible, so what do I know.

Malthus

Just looking around - it seems that in the US different states do it differently.

In some, it is an "aggrivating circumstance" for determining whether the death penalty should be imposed:

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/courtserv/CrtProj/capsentguid/F9andF10.htm

QuoteA.R.S. § 13-751(F)(10)-VICTIM IS A PEACE OFFICER

A.R.S. §13-751(F)(10) currently provides that it shall be an aggravating circumstance where "[t]he murdered person was an on duty peace officer who was killed in the course of performing the officer's official duties and the defendant knew, or should have known, that the murdered person was a peace officer."

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 23, 2009, 06:12:53 PM
He was a 20-year member of a racist religious cult.  Sorry, the evidence is pretty clear there.  But then again, I'm just a typical white man, clinging to my guns and my bible, so what do I know.

Not much about criminal law, apparently.