Paperless meetings

Started by Monoriu, October 23, 2009, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 08:04:01 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2009, 07:24:07 AM
That doesn't excuse you.

Learn keyboard shortcuts.

Those belong to the dark side of the force.

Shift+Insert is where the real power is! Succomb to the Dark side.

Freaking Chinese. I think I understand why they have so much trouble running our hardware.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

I agree with Mono.  I like the old style menus.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 23, 2009, 06:36:03 AM
Personally, I love Office 2007. Ganted, I customized the menu bar next to the "Office" button a fair bit.

The only improvement that I noticed was that all my favourite buttons were gone.  Or hidden somewhere.  Is there any reason why they have to turn the file tab into a circle with funny pictograms on it? :mad:
I thought you east asian types loved nice shiny pictures in your programs?
At least that's what the teacher said when on about cultural differences in interface design :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

We use Sharepoint directly to write our meeting protocols. That way everybody has his tasks readily at hand and you can track tasks immediately in the tool.

Anyway, even if the battery had run out on you, Word would have saved your document, so no worries about that.

And why did you not just e-mail yourself your meeting notes?

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2009, 09:33:45 AM
We use Sharepoint directly to write our meeting protocols. That way everybody has his tasks readily at hand and you can track tasks immediately in the tool.

Anyway, even if the battery had run out on you, Word would have saved your document, so no worries about that.

And why did you not just e-mail yourself your meeting notes?

It was not my computer.  I didn't have the lotusnotes log in ID for that computer.  And, if I couldn't save it somewhere I couldn't email it, could I? 

Zanza

I don't know how the HK government has set up its computers, but the place I work also has Lotus Notes and my Lotus Notes password works on all computers in the company. You might try that in the future. 

And even Office 2007 still has the good old "Copy" button right on the first ribbon. So you could have copy and pasted it to Notes. My Word also has the "Save" button right next to the big round button, but it's possible that I put it there.

garbon

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is. Almost all of my meetings are paperless. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

It's not paperless meetings that fail, it's you. Even my 79-year-old dad can work out how to save in new versions of software.

Here we log in as ourselves over the wireless network in meetings and do everything there and then on the laptop.

The other day there was a diagram on the whiteboard we needed to keep, so I took a photo of it on my phone and emailed it to attendees.

Alatriste

Personally, I love Office 2007. Ganted, I customized the menu bar next to the "Office" button a fair bit.

The only improvement that I noticed was that all my favourite buttons were gone.  Or hidden somewhere.  Is there any reason why they have to turn the file tab into a circle with funny pictograms on it? :mad:

The one I heard is, MS is preparing the way for the migration to tactile screens. If you are going to use your fingers rather than a mouse cursor, you need quite bigger buttons... But in my humble opinion tactile screens for PCs are the lousiest idea ever. Not only will screens get very dirty quite soon (even if no pizza is involved), a mouse allows faster moves and much finer control, and on top of that when you move the cursor with a mouse your frigging hand doesn't obstruct the view. Imagine selecting text with your fingers, for example... we are going to need BIG fonts if we use tactile screens for word processing in the future.

Probably only 90 years old grandmas would love using her fingers on the screen... if they didn't tremble too much to be of use anyway!

Darth Wagtaros

Tablet PCs or those relying on tactile screens will be an important niche Alster, but will probably not replace what we have now except for certain functions. 
PDH!

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on October 23, 2009, 11:19:13 AM
I don't know how the HK government has set up its computers, but the place I work also has Lotus Notes and my Lotus Notes password works on all computers in the company. You might try that in the future. 

And even Office 2007 still has the good old "Copy" button right on the first ribbon. So you could have copy and pasted it to Notes. My Word also has the "Save" button right next to the big round button, but it's possible that I put it there.

Oh really?  I thought my LotusNotes password only works on my work computer.  But it is still useless, because I don't even know what my password is.  I use a feature called single signon or something.  I only need to remember my windows password.  That'll unlock some pre-set programme and helps me type out all other passwords automatically.  So I have no idea what my LotusNotes password is.

As I said, I almost exclusively use the drop down menus whenever I am in Office.  I just ignore the buttons.  And keyboard shortcuts.  I NEED the dropdown menus!!!!!!1111

Monoriu

Quote from: Alatriste on October 23, 2009, 01:25:07 PM

The one I heard is, MS is preparing the way for the migration to tactile screens. If you are going to use your fingers rather than a mouse cursor, you need quite bigger buttons... But in my humble opinion tactile screens for PCs are the lousiest idea ever. Not only will screens get very dirty quite soon (even if no pizza is involved), a mouse allows faster moves and much finer control, and on top of that when you move the cursor with a mouse your frigging hand doesn't obstruct the view. Imagine selecting text with your fingers, for example... we are going to need BIG fonts if we use tactile screens for word processing in the future.

Probably only 90 years old grandmas would love using her fingers on the screen... if they didn't tremble too much to be of use anyway!

Actually, the laptop in the story is a tablet PC.  We specifically bought them so that the higher-ups could write on the screen. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Brazen on October 23, 2009, 11:38:10 AM
It's not paperless meetings that fail, it's you. Even my 79-year-old dad can work out how to save in new versions of software.

Here we log in as ourselves over the wireless network in meetings and do everything there and then on the laptop.

The other day there was a diagram on the whiteboard we needed to keep, so I took a photo of it on my phone and emailed it to attendees.

I thought the user is always right and all that  :P

I don't trust wireless networks.  We have that, but it is so unstable that it is as good as useless.  Cables all the way.

And my phone is not capable of sending emails. 

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2009, 11:21:37 AM
I'm not sure what the point of this topic is. Almost all of my meetings are paperless. :mellow:

Point 1 - from now on, I'll bring a USB storage device to all paperless meetings.

Point 2 - I'll try if I can get someone to install the office 2000 drop down menus to the paperless meeting laptops.

Tonitrus

If Office 2007 is like IE 2007(or whatever) that I use at work, you can right-click and restore the old-school "menu bar" with "File" and what-not.