Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Fortunately, homos in Europe will soon be exterminated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2009, 06:12:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2009, 06:08:43 AM
Quote from: miglia on October 24, 2009, 06:02:31 AM
I think Galileo would be with me on that one.

Galileo didn't wake up one morning and find the government gone, with nobody to run the power plants.

Galileo woke up and found the government run by the church. That was the problem.

Well, considering he was put on trial while in Rome, it couldn't exactly come to him as a surprise to find out one day that the government of Rome was run by the church. ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: miglia on October 24, 2009, 06:20:22 AM
QuoteGalileo didn't wake up one morning and find the government gone, with nobody to run the power plants.

QuoteBelgian Congo couldn't say that.

Don't understand the relevance.

My point is, the sometimes abrupt disappearance of colonial governments did more for the dysfunctionalism of states than the presence of the church.  But, since you're apparently another Romebasher, you go ahead and blame the state of modern sub-saharan Africa on the church.

Pat

Oh, right, I understand wherein the confusion lies. That was unrelated to my earlier post and I wasn't refering to the third world. I was talking about the church stunting development in catholic Europe. Though I'd certainly say they greatly stunt development in the modern third world as well, particularly by condemning use of condoms, even though there are certainly additional factors at play in the poverty and under-development of the third world (though I'm not so sure about the power vacuum theory - surely they've had quite some time to fill that vacuum by now?)

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2009, 06:12:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2009, 06:08:43 AM

Galileo didn't wake up one morning and find the government gone, with nobody to run the power plants.

Galileo woke up and found the government run by the church. That was the problem.

Galileo woke up and found insulting a sitting head of state was a poor decision.  If he had insulted a secular head of state like the King France he would have been executed rather then put under house arrest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

The pope apologized for Galileo and said the church was wrong, and the pope is infallible. :smarty:

Razgovory

Quote from: miglia on October 24, 2009, 07:07:58 AM
The pope apologized for Galileo and said the church was wrong, and the pope is infallible. :smarty:

He wasn't infallible at the time as that doctrine hadn't come about yet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: miglia on October 24, 2009, 07:07:58 AM
Not on matters like that he isn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Solmyr

You know that Galileo was a devout Catholic, right? And the reason he was sentenced was not that his theory was somehow completely unpalatable by the Church. The Pope was his friend and gave him the opportunity to argue his case, it's when Galileo decided to make ad hominem attacks against the Pope that he was condemned.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Solmyr on October 24, 2009, 08:39:54 AM
You know that Galileo was a devout Catholic, right? And the reason he was sentenced was not that his theory was somehow completely unpalatable by the Church. The Pope was his friend and gave him the opportunity to argue his case, it's when Galileo decided to make ad hominem attacks against the Pope that he was condemned.

That's quite a bit of pro-papal spin control.  Galileo wasn't given the opportunity to argue the case; he was only allowed to present heliocentric theory as a possible hypothesis without actually arguing for it or defending it.  he got in trouble because he wouldn't stick strictly to those limitations.  And he was prosecuted not for making fun of the Pope, but for making fun of the Pope's *arguments*. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Pat

I still think Galileo would have been rational enough to agree with me that the church impeded progress when they brought him before the inquisition on charges of heresy :huh:

And Galileo is just one example. There are many more, as you know. They burned Giordano Bruno at the stake :huh: What excuses do you have for that?

edit: Though OK that was on theological grounds as well as for his heliocentrism. But it should be self-evident that the church was the enemy of free inquiry, and the Inquisition did it's best to turn catholic countries into deserts of the mind. No one can deny that. Hell, the church only recently stopped carrying it's list of banned books.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2009, 07:01:32 AM
[Galileo woke up and found insulting a sitting head of state was a poor decision.  If he had insulted a secular head of state like the King France he would have been executed rather then put under house arrest.

He didn't insult a secular head of state though.  To the contrary the person he was dealing with was supposedly the representative of Jesus Christ on earth.  You know - the guy who talked about "turning the other cheek" and all that.  Perhaps Galileo took the Church's PR a little too much at face value.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ancient Demon

QuoteSecularism is not a condition of modernity. You don't have to travel to Turkey to see that. It is true in the United States, which is a very religious society but in which advanced science and technological innovation thrive.

Too many people think secularism means atheism. Secularism is indeed a condition of modernity.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2009, 06:42:12 AM
Quote from: miglia on October 24, 2009, 06:20:22 AM
QuoteGalileo didn't wake up one morning and find the government gone, with nobody to run the power plants.

QuoteBelgian Congo couldn't say that.

Don't understand the relevance.

My point is, the sometimes abrupt disappearance of colonial governments did more for the dysfunctionalism of states than the presence of the church.  But, since you're apparently another Romebasher, you go ahead and blame the state of modern sub-saharan Africa on the church.

You mean "Jew-basher" I hope?

The last good thing Rome did was trying to stamp out the Judean heresy by putting Christians to the sword. It all went down hill when they abandoned the Capitoline gods for the Jewish upstart.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 24, 2009, 09:21:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2009, 07:01:32 AM
[Galileo woke up and found insulting a sitting head of state was a poor decision.  If he had insulted a secular head of state like the King France he would have been executed rather then put under house arrest.

He didn't insult a secular head of state though.  To the contrary the person he was dealing with was supposedly the representative of Jesus Christ on earth.  You know - the guy who talked about "turning the other cheek" and all that.  Perhaps Galileo took the Church's PR a little too much at face value.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5McSEU48Y8

The church still has the best variete.