Societies don't have to be secular to be modern

Started by citizen k, October 23, 2009, 02:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2009, 06:41:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:57:17 PM
Anyway, I must commend miglia for his resilience, even if arguing with grumbler is like arguing with a dirty old pig.
I must commend you for not making your inevitable ad hom until the second page.  :hug:

Well a Pig is a higher life form then Marty, so he may have meant it as a compliment.  Don't know about the dirty part.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 08:18:46 PM
Not at all.  Evolution happens all the time.  That said, significant evolutionary change, even within a species, is usually at minimum in the hundreds of generation ranges.
Had you included the previous sentence of mine in your quote, which was referring to evolution in a "measurable way," you would have discovered that you were simply repeating my point.

Not that it doesn't bear repeating, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:53:41 PM
Can we introduce a rule against arguing with posts line by line, the way grumbler does? It makes the entire thread unreadable.

Don't read it, then!  :lmfao:

Nothing more funny than whiners trying to make the smart people here write for the stupid people like them.  "I can read threads where specific arguments are used!  Can't we make everyone just use moronic analogies and ad homs like Marti?"

QuoteNow I could go on and ignore him wholesale, but whenever people ignore his inane ramblings, he seems to announce himself a winner of the debate for some inexplicable reason.
Trust me, I won't mind if you never post on languish again.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2009, 06:41:33 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 07:57:17 PM
Anyway, I must commend miglia for his resilience, even if arguing with grumbler is like arguing with a dirty old pig.
I must commend you for not making your inevitable ad hom until the second page.  :hug:

I believe that is merely name-calling, not an ad hom argument. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: miglia on October 25, 2009, 09:55:59 PM
According to Rudbeck, Sweden was cradle of civilization, and Swedish the language that Hebrew and Latin evolved from  :)
Hyper-nationalists say all kinds of crazy things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2009, 06:44:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2009, 08:18:46 PM
Not at all.  Evolution happens all the time.  That said, significant evolutionary change, even within a species, is usually at minimum in the hundreds of generation ranges.
Had you included the previous sentence of mine in your quote, which was referring to evolution in a "measurable way," you would have discovered that you were simply repeating my point.

Not that it doesn't bear repeating, of course.
How do you measure evolution?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 03:54:52 AM
So a country with an overwhelmingly muslim populace, where the democratically elected representatives of the people pass laws that penalize apostasy, adultery and homosexuality with death, and forbid drinking wine and eating pork, would be "secular" to you?  :lol:

Seriously, you are the best example of the GIGO principle. You are a smart and decent guy, who has right ideas on most of things, but because your reasoning process is contaminated with religious falsehoods, you end up saying things like that.

Well I consider freedom of religion a basis for a secular state so I would probably nix the apostasy part...but how can you reasonably propose that a society is secular because it has no laws based on religion?

How is outlawing eating pork different from outlawing anything else if done via a legal and democratic process?  The motivations of the voters is not what makes a secular state.  If the voters voted for things based on Astrology or the belief that the world is going to end in 2012 that would be just as 'secular'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2009, 04:41:40 PM
I am not saying you have to ban religious thinking but yes, you have to ban religious politics. This is how the separation of church and state is perceived in many European countries, for example France.

Religion is a private thing. It should be kept to homes and churches. It has no place in the public sphere.

Yet France is not a secular state by your definition because there is nothing preventing people from voting for or against things based on their religious convictions.  In fact many people in France do just that.  Ergo according to you: not secular.

And religion is a private thing in the United States.  I am free to believe in and worship however I want.  There is no government agent around telling me what the acceptable dogma is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 25, 2009, 02:41:26 AM
What does it even mean in that context? I am talking about truth and facts, not about rational thought, in any case. There is nothing rational in stating that we will go to heaven after we die, or that Jesus resurrected on the third day, or that God created the Earth 6000 years ago. These are statements about reality, and they are false.

Which is why I do not believe in the literal reality of those ideas.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2009, 06:49:19 AM
I believe that is merely name-calling, not an ad hom argument. :contract:
You are mistaken.  He is arguing that to debate me is futile due to a personal trait of mine.  that is an argument "to the man" which, translated into Latin, is ad hominim shortened to ad hom. :contract:

Bayraktar!

PDH

Of COURSE France is secular, it is not Muslim!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2009, 07:12:47 AM
Through the changed characteristics of species over time.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2009, 08:08:00 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 26, 2009, 07:12:47 AM
Through the changed characteristics of species over time.
:rolleyes:
Next you'll tell us that such characteristics as lactose tolerance may simply be in part a factor of environment rather than pure evolution with even such disparate peoples as tropical asians able to gain it in a matter of generations when living in milk drinking societies. Dream on, evolutionotard!
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM