Replacing Power supply fan

Started by katmai, October 21, 2009, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

My power supply has two fans, one of which is dying as it has started making an awful racket.

I've read up on replacing them, but wanted to hear from folks here if they have done it, before i go voiding warranty on the PS and possibly shocking the shit out of me on the capacitors.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Everything I've ever read has said to not ever open up your power supply.

Unless you have some super-souped-up custom rig a new PS is pretty cheap...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DGuller

I bough a new power supply when what you described happened to me.  Tinkering inside power supply is not working inside your computer, it's working inside an electrical appliance.  Ever since my childhood I had fear of death, and avoided every activity where death was inevitable, so for that reason I avoided messing with the power supply.

katmai

So any brands that you guys recommend?

Scipio

Antec.  I've had success with a HiPer, but other people have not.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

I have only ever bought Antec, ayup.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Alatriste

I hope you checked it beforehand. A coworker of mine bought a new PS and when he did get it out of the box he discovered it had more spinning color lights than a police car and a disco from the 80s combined.

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on October 21, 2009, 03:59:12 PM
My power supply has two fans, one of which is dying as it has started making an awful racket.

I've read up on replacing them, but wanted to hear from folks here if they have done it, before i go voiding warranty on the PS and possibly shocking the shit out of me on the capacitors.
I have replaced the fans on a bunch of PS at school, simply because we couldn't afford, at the time, new PSs.  I am with the others saying that you should just buy a new PS, though, as the fans are incredibly fragile and installing them has about a 25% change of mashing bearings just from handling the fan.    You made the right choice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

:yes: It's also true that, at least for a single user, power supplies have come down so far in price that it's not cost-effective to repair it.

When I replaced the one in my 2003 Presario, I went with a Rosewill 350W that hasn't given me any problems; it's also nowhere near as loud as the reviewers complained.
Experience bij!