Main Menu

My cellphone provider has a sweet deal

Started by Scipio, October 21, 2009, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: Scipio on October 21, 2009, 02:37:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 02:34:18 PM
Do it.  I bought my Hero from Sprint late last week & am loving it.  I take it Cellular South uses Verizon for data roaming?
Yep.

Cool, so you have their ginormous network to play with when traveling.

Anyway, re: the phone itself-- the Android OS is excellent and the stuff HTC adds over top of it makes it even better.  It generally runs very fast (and can multi-task unlike certain fruit-branded phones), but can slow down just a little if you have a lot running.

The Android marketplace has a good selection of apps that should become even better as the user base grows.  The barcode scanner app will make you tear apart your office or home looking for stuff to scan.  The Facebook app is solid & naturally Google apps are well-integrated with the phone.

You can put some apps on your 'desktop' as widgets, and flick left or right to scroll between them, sort of like how the Palm Pre's WebOS interface works.

Only things I don't like about my phone are the $(*@ing Sprint Nascar app I can't get rid of, and the voice dialer requires a little patience.

I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what the phone can do, but then again I've only had it 6 days :P
Sounds fucking great.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Not sure if you've done anything on this, Scippy, but FWIW I installed the Android version of PdaNet on my (XP) work laptop & got it working with my phone.  I have about a week & a half worth of business travel coming up so I want to be prepared for having to wait hours for flights and spotty wifi in hotels.

Anyway, I ran a speed test & am getting about 1.8Mbps downloads & 440kbps upload.  Pretty close to what I got thru my older WinMo phone, but webpages definitely seemed to load faster.  Not too shabby for using a phone as a modem.

This was on Sprint's Rev A EVDO here in Cincinnati.  Verizon may be faster.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

My cell phone plan costs zero dollars per month.  I only have to pay for calls I make, at 0.03 per minute.  Receiving calls and keeping my cell phone active is free.  Cell phone plans in the US are seriously overpriced.  I haven't put any money in to my cell phone since July.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 28, 2009, 12:58:21 PM
My cell phone plan costs zero dollars per month.  I only have to pay for calls I make, at 0.03 per minute.  Receiving calls and keeping my cell phone active is free.  Cell phone plans in the US are seriously overpriced.  I haven't put any money in to my cell phone since July.

Nice.  How much does data cost?

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 28, 2009, 01:39:09 PM

I think you  have to use a bike messenger for that :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 28, 2009, 01:39:09 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 28, 2009, 12:58:21 PM

I can get unlimited data for 800 baht per month, which is about $20.  It's edge though, they don't have 3G here yet.  I used to use my cell phone as my internet connection, and used around 5 gigs per months

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on October 28, 2009, 01:48:21 PM
I can get unlimited data for 800 baht per month, which is about $20.  It's edge though, they don't have 3G here yet.  I used to use my cell phone as my internet connection, and used around 5 gigs per months

Edge kinda sucks, but $20 for unlimited data is pretty awesome no matter how fast or slow.

Edit: No wait...mines only $30 a month for unlimited 3G.  Nevermind.  Not so good.  I was forgetting we had two phones on this account.   :blush:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: ulmont on October 28, 2009, 02:16:43 PM
Earthlink would like to sell you dialup, then: http://www.earthlink.net/access/dialup.faces?CampaignID=DialUpGoogleSEM&KeyID=DialupGeneral:dial_up_service&gclid=CJ27zba34J0CFeFM5Qodk1QHNA

:huh:  That doesn't work with my cell phone.  The cord would be way too long whenever I went anywhere outside, and I'd have to have the window down and some sort of spool for driving.   What if it were to rain?

Edit:  I didn't know Earthlink was still around though, so there's that.  The dude in the DSL section is excited about his internet service.