Computer Recommendations?

Started by Jaron, October 21, 2009, 03:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Less ATI as in avoid the brand alltogether or use a weaker card?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on February 13, 2010, 08:15:50 PM

I haven't had good experiences with ATI, so as in avoid it.

Jaron

HMM I could go with a nVidia GeForce GTS240 1024MB GDDR3 :mmm: ? :S

I can't believe 4GB of Ram isn't enough though!! My old gateway had 128 and I thought it was blazing fast. :P

katmai

When i build my next pc (probably this fall) 4gb is the minimum I'd have in it.

Jaron

How much do you tend to sink into a new pc ?

My usual MO is the more I spend the better a system I've gotten so I'm currently stuck between saving up to get every bell and whistle I can afford, or exploring the possibility that I can get what I want out of a new pc without checking every single option at the checkout menu. :P

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on February 13, 2010, 08:46:22 PM
How much do you tend to sink into a new pc ?

My usual MO is the more I spend the better a system I've gotten so I'm currently stuck between saving up to get every bell and whistle I can afford, or exploring the possibility that I can get what I want out of a new pc without checking every single option at the checkout menu. :P

I usually spend about $800-1,000 bucks and then over the years upgrade ( I bought the PC i'm typing this on in 2006, and i've added HD, Video Card twice and memory since purchase)

Jaron

We gots to get ready for more WoW!!!! :w00t:

katmai

Jaron

Yeah, me too. :P

The game will be a half a decade old this year. :o

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on February 13, 2010, 08:56:27 PM
Yeah, me too. :P

The game will be a half a decade old this year. :o

Uh actually last Nov iirc.  City of Heroes came out in April of '04 and I spent all my time that summer playing it with Camper, Fahdizzle, and DocDoom and Galrion.
I remember our guildies talking about checking out WoW when it was coming out that holidays and me saying no thanks, no interest in playing elves and dwarves. :lol:

Jaron

Oh yeah, you're right. It did come out in '04!

I remember Berkut talking all kinds of smack about that "cartoon game" everyone was playing while he was on EQ2. of course the next year he and Bakkito were way into it.  :yuk:

katmai

Quote from: Jaron on February 13, 2010, 09:02:45 PM
Oh yeah, you're right. It did come out in '04!

I remember Berkut talking all kinds of smack about that "cartoon game" everyone was playing while he was on EQ2. of course the next year he and Bakkito were way into it.  :yuk:

It's all his fault we were on the 'hoof. Oh sure he'll try to pass blame on CdM...

Jaron

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Jaron on February 13, 2010, 08:15:50 PM

Grey Fox and Katmai's brand loyalty aside, you probably shouldn't be looking at that first ATi card, unless you're going for a "budget" card, and just absolutely can't spend more than the $50 or $60 that that card costs.  I don't believe ATi actually makes a weaker DX11 card than the 5450, and you can really do a lot better for not much cash.  A GTS 250 or a 4850 would both be better for a little more. 

They both get good reviews, by the way.

Or if you must have DX11 for whatever reason, the 5770 isn't a whole lot more than those.  $160 - $190 or so on Newegg.  I don't think nVidia has a DX11 card out yet.  It's supposed to be pretty damn fast though when it does.