LANGUISH CRYSTAL BALL: Will Caliga's county vote to repeal alcohol prohibition?

Started by Caliga, October 20, 2009, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Yes.
8 (25%)
No.
14 (43.8%)
They will vote Jaron Imperator for Life instead.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alatriste

True, Berk. A real American sees there's no profit in killing. But slavery, on the other hand...

Oh, and If I can play a CdM: it doesn't matter, whatever the result it will still be ol'Kentucky.

Martinus

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 12:53:27 PM
Remember that, while Baptists do conduct Communion like other Protestants, they drink grape juice instead of wine.

So do the Methodists and the Presbyterians, although I assume this may vary by area...

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on October 20, 2009, 12:55:45 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 12:53:27 PM
Baptists have this insane theory (as articulated to me by my mother-in-law) that the "wine" in the Bible is really grape juice.  Remember that, while Baptists do conduct Communion like other Protestants, they drink grape juice instead of wine.  The explanation she repeated to me made no sense, especially given my brewing experience... I couldn't even tell you the details--my eyes kind of glazed over while she was trying to articulate it and I probably just smiled politely and nodded.

LOL I heard that. It is fucking stupid. In the Biblical Mediterranean anyone relying on the grape juice would die of diarrhea within weeks. Beer and wine were so popular because they were capable of killing the most harmful and widespread bacteriae.

Stuff like this really makes one go WTF.

Edit: And shame on you, considering your historical interest in the Roman times. Why on earth you didn't tell the bitch she is fucking stupid?

What you don't get Marty is that they aren't trying to convince you that it makes sense - they don't care if it makes sense to you or other sane humans.

All they need is an excuse, a fig leaf to hide behind. It only has to make sense to THEM, and even then, the bar for "making sense" is almost non-existently low. It only has to make sense enough for them to justify their idiocy to themselves.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: ulmont on October 20, 2009, 12:58:37 PM
So do the Methodists and the Presbyterians, although I assume this may vary by area...
Yes, I know.  I grew up a Methodist and we drank grape juice, but the rationale there was "we don't want to serve wine to children, and also it's expensive".

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 01:00:01 PM
Quote from: ulmont on October 20, 2009, 12:58:37 PM
Yes, I know.  I grew up a Methodist and we drank grape juice, but the rationale there was "we don't want to serve wine to children, and also it's expensive".

That actually makes a lot of sense.

After all, it is going to turn into demi-human/deity blood anyway, so why bother drinking something expensive like wine?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 01:01:18 PM

After all, it is going to turn into demi-human/deity blood anyway, so why bother drinking something expensive like wine?
Well OTOH it's not like the wine they serve at Mass is exactly high quality stuff. :x

Caliga

Edit: And shame on you, considering your historical interest in the Roman times. Why on earth you didn't tell the bitch she is fucking stupid?
:huh: I'm polite?  Also I like sex?

Syt

Lot's daughters used wine to get him drunk and have sex with him. How much more proof for the sinfulness of alcohol do you need?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well, the way I see it, if you must take some fairytales written 2000+ years ago as literal truth, at least don't make shit up or misinterpret them in a wildly incorrect way.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2009, 01:01:18 PM

I never paid super close attention to the issue, but I think only Papists think you're slugging down the actual blood and body of Mr. J. H. Christ.

Cal: are you a bedroom community of Lexington?  Where are you?

Caliga

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2009, 01:06:57 PM
Lot's daughters used wine to get him drunk and have sex with him.
Were they HOTT

On second thought this probably a reason against prohibition in the redneck states.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 01:06:00 PM
:huh: I'm polite?  Also I like sex?

Oh ok. One thing that's good about being gay, is that it is really unlikely (though not unheard of) to have some lunatic religious bitch as your sex date. :P