LANGUISH CRYSTAL BALL: Will Caliga's county vote to repeal alcohol prohibition?

Started by Caliga, October 20, 2009, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well?

Yes.
8 (25%)
No.
14 (43.8%)
They will vote Jaron Imperator for Life instead.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 01:00:01 PM
Yes, I know.  I grew up a Methodist and we drank grape juice, but the rationale there was "we don't want to serve wine to children, and also it's expensive".
You had mass at a Methodist church?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 07:20:10 PM
Not only did 'yes' win, but preliminary count indicates it was a landslide!

TAKE THAT BAPTIST DOUCHEBAGS  :menace:

:nelson

Baptists = fail

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 09:17:13 AM
Well they have communion at Methodist churches.
I did not know that.  A quick search says it is only occasional in many Methodist churches, though, so maybe that is why I didn't even know they did it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2009, 09:26:18 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 09:17:13 AM
Well they have communion at Methodist churches.
I did not know that.  A quick search says it is only occasional in many Methodist churches, though, so maybe that is why I didn't even know they did it.

I'm pretty sure communion's both protestant and Catholic- my parents' old Presbyterian church would do communion every fifth Sunday.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 22, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
I'm pretty sure communion's both protestant and Catholic- my parents' old Presbyterian church would do communion every fifth Sunday.
Yes, communion is common in many protestant denominations, as I well knew;  Lutheran, Presbyterian, Anglican/Episcapalian; pretty much all the "high church" kinds of denominations.  I didn't know it was practiced by Methodists, nor do I still know if practiced by Baptists, Anabaptists, Quakers, Shakers, or Unitarians.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

It's practiced in the United Church, which was a merger of the Methodists and Presbyterians.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

At my dad's Methodist church they make a point of saying that you don't have to be a member or even a Christian to chow down.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2009, 10:24:09 AM
At my dad's Methodist church they make a point of saying that you don't have to be a member or even a Christian to chow down.

Yeah the Catholics announce if you are not a Catholic do not partake...not that they will do anything if you do but, you know, God knows you are a heretical bastard.

The Methodists do not concern themselves with it on that level.

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 10:35:34 AM
Yeah the Catholics announce if you are not a Catholic do not partake...not that they will do anything if you do but, you know, God knows you are a heretical bastard.

The Catholics also allow at least some Orthodox denominations to partake, at least according to the program notes the few times I've been in proximity.

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on October 22, 2009, 10:37:51 AM
The Catholics also allow at least some Orthodox denominations to partake, at least according to the program notes the few times I've been in proximity.

I guess Orthodoxy is so rare in Texas they don't bother to mention it.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on October 22, 2009, 10:35:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2009, 10:24:09 AM

The Methodists do not concern themselves with it on that level.

Protties just pass around a plate of bread or crackers and little cups of wine or juice. They don't go up and get it from the priest. It's the no-priest-between-you-and-God thingie. Every Christian denomination that I know of does communion at least once in a while.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2009, 12:41:57 PM
Protties just pass around a plate of bread or crackers and little cups of wine or juice. They don't go up and get it from the priest. It's the no-priest-between-you-and-God thingie. Every Christian denomination that I know of does communion at least once in a while.

Interesting fact: I have never actually not-gotten communion from a priest before.  Even at my good friends Catholic marriage it was he himself (and his bride) who gave communion.  I think the Priests deputize members of the congregation these days to speed things along.