Gustavus Adolphus the Great remembrance thread (Neil, stay out)

Started by Gambrinus, November 06, 2009, 12:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2009, 01:55:42 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2009, 01:36:23 PM
He killed Papists, Poles, Russians and Austrians. How can one not approve.

So did the Muslims.

Nobody can be all evil, not even the muslims.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

saskganesh

Quote from: Bluebook on November 06, 2009, 01:31:43 PM
One of the persons who influenced Sweden the most. I wonder what would have happened had he not perished that morning.

suckered you into a 100 year war trying to conquer Vienna and become HRE?

he was kind've like Patton. If he didn't have a war, he would make one.
humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on November 06, 2009, 02:14:29 PM

Or Alexander the Great?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Viking on November 06, 2009, 01:36:23 PM
He killed Papists, Poles, Russians and Austrians. How can one not approve.

He wanted to build a Swedish Baltic Empire. Which is a bad idea to begin with. It would be better even to give it all to the Finns.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gambrinus

One of the persons who influenced Sweden the most. I wonder what would have happened had he not perished that morning.

Nah, that was his nephew, Charles X.
(what had happened if he hadn't ignored his own health (apparently he ignored others...) is another interesting what if?)

As for Minskys comment, Gustavus Adolphus was an extremeley able king, and that included appointing extremely able servants of the state. Granted, the framework for reform was already set when the King fell on the field of glory, fog and gore.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Gambrinus on November 06, 2009, 03:06:59 PM

(what had happened if he hadn't ignored his own health (apparently he ignored others...) is another interesting what if?)

As for Minskys comment, Gustavus Adolphus was an extremeley able king, and that included appointing extremely able servants of the state. Granted, the framework for reform was already set when the King fell on the field of glory, fog and gore.

Yeah, but what made Adolphus think that getting involved in the 30 Years War was a tremendously good idea?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2009, 03:20:17 PM

Yeah, but what made Adolphus think that getting involved in the 30 Years War was a tremendously good idea?

Establishing IKEA stores in Germany.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2009, 03:21:27 PM

Establishing IKEA stores in Germany.

Raping and pillaging isn't what they teach as good customer relations in marketing class these days. More's the pity.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gambrinus

That's very debated to this day and one prominent essay subject in History classes at the University.
For himself: power, glory and defending the faith I guess (yeah, I know, he allied with France, but they then weren't interested in bashing protestants, they were interested in bashing the Emperor, so it suited his causes). For the rest: Power to the budding state, glory and profit to the upper classes, spreading the faith. It was not at all certain that the campaign would be victorious and it wasn't an easy decision for the four estates to make.

The Brain

Hindsight.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I think it's been established that the way he died was foolish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.