And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia moves to "Nuke first, ask later" policy

Started by Syt, October 17, 2009, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\10\15\story_15-10-2009_pg4_5

QuoteRussia to adopt nuclear first strike policy

MOSCOW: Russia will revise its military doctrine to allow a "preventative" nuclear strike against would-be aggressors, a top Kremlin policy-maker was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

Nikolai Patrushev, the secretary of the powerful security council, said the conditions under which Russia could resort to atomic weapons are being reworked in the main strategy document and will be reviewed by President Dmitry Medvedev by the end of the year. "The conditions have been revised for the use of nuclear weapons to rebuff an aggression with the use of conventional weapons, not only on a massive-scale but on a regional and even local level," Patrushev told the Izvestia newspaper.

"Variants are under considerations for the use of nuclear weapons depending on the situation and potential of a would-be aggressor," he said. "In a critical situation for national security, a preventative nuclear strike on an aggressor is not ruled out." Under its current military doctrine, Russia says it would only carry out a nuclear strike if it were attacked with weapons of mass destruction or if it were the victim of "large-scale aggression" using conventional arms.

Russian and US negotiators are now working furiously to agree on new arms cuts of their nuclear arsenal before a key Cold War-era disarmament treaty expires on December 5. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton reiterated the joint drive to achieve new arms reductions by this deadline after talks in Moscow this week. Clinton stressed to Russian university students on Wednesday that their country's prosperity was dependent on its willingness to cultivate core freedoms, including the freedom to participate in the political process.

"Citizens must be empowered to help formulate the laws under which they live," she told about 2,000 students at Moscow State University. "They need to know that their investments of time, money and intellectual property will be safeguarded by the institutions of government." Clinton wrapped up a five-day tour of Europe with a series of informal meetings in Moscow and the Russian republic of Tatarstan aimed at helping redefine US-Russian relations.

In an interview to a Russian radio station on Wednesday, Clinton said the United States will continue to support and train Georgia's military despite Russian objections. "Georgia is providing troops in Afghanistan and we are training troops to be able to go to Afghanistan," Clinton told the Echo of Moscow radio. "We will help the Georgian people to feel like they can protect themselves," she added, without giving further details. Despite a thaw in Russian-US relations, Clinton admitted that Georgia was a policy area on which Washington and Moscow did not see eye-to-eye. agencies
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Martinus

Good to see Obama's strategy already bearing fruit.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2009, 08:53:17 AM

:D

Funny, because it is true. There are savage barbarian hordes in this world, like the Russians, who only understand strength and intimidation because they have not encountered anything else. You can't give them ground because they interpret that as a sign of weakness to exploit while it lasts.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2009, 09:01:45 AM

:D

Funny, because it is true. There are savage barbarian hordes in this world, like the Russians, who only understand strength and intimidation because they have not encountered anything else. You can't give them ground because they interpret that as a sign of weakness to exploit while it lasts.

Descendants of Magyar steppe nomads should know. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Faeelin

Didn't the US decide a few years back we'd consider using nukes for some hard tagetS?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Faeelin on October 17, 2009, 09:18:01 AM
Didn't the US decide a few years back we'd consider using nukes for some hard tagetS?

We decided prior to Gulf War 1 that any use of non-conventional weapons (chemical, biological) of mass destruction would warrant a nuclear response.
But yes, there was talk that, in the event it was required, tactical nuclear weapons could be used on hard targets if the yield would be more effective than conventional warheads.

Neil

Like the Kremlin?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

I'm just curious: did Russia miss the memo that they lost the Cold War, or did they consider it a vacation and are trying to get started on CW2?
Experience bij!

Josquius

I remember that I think...wasn't it around the time of the Afghanistan invasion? Which of course led the internet into putting two and two together and assuming they wanted to nuke Bin Laden....
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

I am amused by the Languish response to this bit of Russian political talk. 

This is all about the government appearing tough and strong, and not at all about nuclear weapons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 17, 2009, 10:39:02 AM
I am amused by the Languish response to this bit of Russian political talk. 

This is all about the government appearing tough and strong, and not at all about nuclear weapons.

Mainly because they're good at the former, and the latter...well, they probably couldn't hit the broad side of derspiess' forehead.

Kleves

If only we could reset the reset button.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on October 17, 2009, 11:36:08 AM
If only we could reset the reset button.  :(

The Curious Case of Reset Button?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

What's the point of adopting rules that have zero chance of being acted upon, except to erode your credibility?