News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Late to the Party, Chapter CLXXIV: Rome on HBO

Started by Martinus, October 16, 2009, 07:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2009, 10:00:49 AM
The sister on Providence is an old friend of my families'.  She's Mormon.  Watched over me as a little kid in Sunday School. 

I wonder why she agreed to play a role on what was essentially a small city version of Sex and the City.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on October 18, 2009, 02:14:14 PM
I agree with Grumbler: this isn't Augustus the world-conquoring emperor, this is Augustus the guy completely unable to handle his truly horrible family.  :D

One of my favourite scenes is the one where Augustus is reviewing the line of guys alleged to have fucked Julia, and at one point in a sort of angry dispair roars: "Is there anyone here who has *not* had sex with my daughter?!"

Hehe, yeah that's awesome.

For the record, Octavian is now my favourite character in "Rome". And not just because he is cute but because he is clever. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2009, 02:39:17 PM
For the record, Octavian is now my favourite character in "Rome". And not just because he is cute but because he is clever. :P

Yeah, he does the "sneaky little shit" thing very well.

Martinus

I love the part when he fucks Octavia, and then fucks her, figuratively. :P

Camerus

You're going to be in for a disappointment in season 2.  The casting and portrayal of older Augustus is bizarre.

grumbler

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 18, 2009, 07:24:59 PM
You're going to be in for a disappointment in season 2.  The casting and portrayal of older Augustus is bizarre.
Agree.  That totally didn't work for me.  Given the ability of Hollywood to "age" people (and vice versa)* [insert Dorsey joke here], I would have thought it possible to retain the excellent Max Pirkis through the whole series.  The transition to older Octavian/Augustus just didn't work for me. Maybe if he hadn't been following such a terrific performance it might have worked.

*Famously, making the twenty-five year difference between the ages of Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn disappear in The Lion in Winter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!