News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Google Latitude

Started by Brazen, October 14, 2009, 10:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I d/led it but it seems to have only installed Google Maps on my phone.  Princesca just insisted I cancel my phone's GPS, but shouldn't I at least be able to view the locations of other people?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on October 14, 2009, 12:46:30 PM
I d/led it but it seems to have only installed Google Maps on my phone.  Princesca just insisted I cancel my phone's GPS, but shouldn't I at least be able to view the locations of other people?  :huh:

Dunno how it works on your Blackberry (?) but on my soon-to-be-replaced WinMo 6.1 phone, you go to Menu in the Google app & then "Latitude" is one of the options.  You can enable, disable, add friends, etc. from that menu.

You have to share your location to participate (though there does seem to be some "hiding" function), but you can manually set your location if you can't or don't want to use GPS. 

And if you have a GPS chip in your phone, that should work with Google Maps regardless of whether you subscribe to any other GPS services.  I use Google Maps & Bing Mobile as a poor man's GPS navigation service sometimes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I didn't put it on my Blackberry (though I guess I could...) but rather my Sony Ericcson W760.

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

I don't have a smartphone :s
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Brazen on October 14, 2009, 10:13:28 AM
Anyone else signed up to Latitude on Google Maps? I'll stalk you if you stalk me :shifty:

it looks similar to loopt app for iphone, but i signed up for it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Brazen on October 14, 2009, 10:13:28 AM
Anyone else signed up to Latitude on Google Maps? I'll stalk you if you stalk me :shifty:

I'm on Latitude.
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Doesn't have South Korea.
Therefore, they're worse than Hirohito. :thumbsdown:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

Wow, the grid system is just so... neat and inorganic. Compare and contrast with London's pre-car construction mess :D Never far from a bit of green though :)

Grey Fox

Explore the midwest. The squareness of it is overwhelming
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 15, 2009, 06:13:41 AM
Explore the midwest. The squareness of it is overwhelming
I've flown over quite a bit of it. Like a giant and rather unimaginative Amish quilt.

DontSayBanana

Whee.  Stalking me on Latitude must be pretty boring right now (posting from in bed). ;)
Experience bij!

Caliga

I am now LIVE on Latitude.  :cool:

derspiess

Quote from: Brazen on October 15, 2009, 06:07:33 AM
Wow, the grid system is just so... neat and inorganic. Compare and contrast with London's pre-car construction mess :D Never far from a bit of green though :)

Oh, FWIW my phone must be using cell towers sometimes when I'm downtown to triangulate my position.  I do NOT work in Kentucky (not that there's anything wrong with that :D ). 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess