PSA: Deals on Computer Stuff

Started by derspiess, October 13, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on October 22, 2009, 09:42:42 PM
I just picked up 24" samsung from Costco MBM, yeah it cost a bit more than the new egg, but lifetime warranty from costco if i have problems with it.

Oh hey I totally forgot about Costco and their nice sized electronics "department" right by the main entrance (and their website of course).  Thanks Kat.   :)

Edit: lol look at the reviews: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11475036&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84&N=4001499%204294910501&Mo=3&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=#reviews

Pros: great picture
Cons: poor sound quality

The integrated speakers put out very limited sound and there is no place to hook up extra speakers. However, the picture looks amazing

1 star.   :lmfao:

garbon

Who would use a monitor's integrated speakers? Shameful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

If you can, MBM, hold out for 16:10 rather than 16:9.  I find it much more satisfying. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

I just picked up 24" samsung from Costco MBM, yeah it cost a bit more than the new egg, but lifetime warranty from costco if i have problems with it.

Does Costco still not accept MasterCard?  That's kinda been a deal-breaker with me for the discount stores.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2009, 11:17:48 AM
Does Costco still not accept MasterCard?  That's kinda been a deal-breaker with me for the discount stores.

No, they still only take debit cards and American Express.

Edit:  Oh yeah, grumbler, thanks for pointing that out, and now that I'm looking at the two types, I'm thinking the 16:10 is indeed the way to go.  They don't seem to be all that much more expensive either (if at all, really).

Grey Fox

I like that Costco takes Amex, I get myself some more airmiles that way. I just hate that they seem to keen on selling me their own Amex card. I have one, already. I don't need 2.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2009, 11:17:48 AM

Yep, only one that i know of to accept is Sam's Club.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on October 23, 2009, 01:55:57 PM
Yep, only one that i know of to accept is Sam's Club.
It seems strange to me that a store would accept AmEx and not Visa or MasterCard.  I accept AmEx because I have international customers who want to use it.  It is so expnsive and such an enormous pain in the ass to deal with, though, that i find myself wondering several times a year whether I need those sales more than I need freedom from AmEx.  Visa and MC are fast, cheap, and their accounts match the retailer's sales accounts.  I can only think that AmEx is paying these stores not to accept other CC, like they used to do more generally.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valdemar

What international customers would you have that wouldn't also have Visa or Mastercard?

Here all debitcards can come with either Visa or Mastercard, most banks offer both. AmEx is a rare bird, and most stores wont accept it.

V

grumbler

One-day (today, Friday 10/6 only) on a refurb HP 23" flatscreen for $155 delivered at Woot.com

Seems a decent deal.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Not computer stuff per se, but at http://www.woot.com/ they have 3w Brinkman flashlights for $10.  WalMart's price for these is $20.  Get a couple so that you ill have one post-Armageddon even if you lose the other.

Bayraktar!