PSA: Deals on Computer Stuff

Started by derspiess, October 13, 2009, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

It's XP, you'll be fine BB. Just don't download/install the Genuine Windows Notification update.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2009, 06:17:48 AM
Just don't download/install the Genuine Windows Notification update.

Is there any reason to do that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

To install it? No idea except to tell Microsoft you bought a legit XP or not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

That's why I've never installed it.  The text says something like letting Microsoft help you to ensure that your xp install is legit.  I already know that it is legit and don't need another process running.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2009, 02:10:04 PM
That's why I've never installed it.  The text says something like letting Microsoft help you to ensure that your xp install is legit.  I already know that it is legit and don't need another process running.

It's a pain in the ass because MS' site requires the plugin to be running in order to download certain things, like any Windows Media Player updates. <_<
Experience bij!

derspiess

Don't you also need that in order to get automatic updates? :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 03:25:53 PM
Don't you also need that in order to get automatic updates? :unsure:
Microsoft says that you do, but apparently you don't.  I think it is always the first update that MSAU tries to install, but if you cancel it apparently the rest install without issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Every time I turn on my work laptop, the notice comes to install it. I always just close of out it and my computer still regularly updates.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2009, 09:58:34 AM
Every time I turn on my work laptop, the notice comes to install it. I always just close of out it and my computer still regularly updates.

That still sounds annoying.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2009, 01:14:52 PM
That still sounds annoying.

Oh it is. But I don't turn my computer off much (and as a consequence its battery life is horrible). :D

MadBurgerMaker

:( Man, I should have snagged that monitor from woot.com when grumbler posted it.  I need a new one, but figured I'd be able to find a similar deal any time.  I can't and it sucks and woot has some shitty Timex watches on there today.  Ugh.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on October 22, 2009, 03:28:42 PM
:( Man, I should have snagged that monitor from woot.com when grumbler posted it.  I need a new one, but figured I'd be able to find a similar deal any time.  I can't and it sucks and woot has some shitty Timex watches on there today.  Ugh.

Woot only lists monitors every now & then.

Dell has some pretty good deals on monitors at times.  And this 22" LG on Newegg looks pretty decent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005132&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on October 22, 2009, 04:21:26 PM
Woot only lists monitors every now & then.

Dell has some pretty good deals on monitors at times.  And this 22" LG on Newegg looks pretty decent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005132&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Yeah I was looking at that one last night.  Looks fine, but for some reason I've been reluctant to just go ahead and buy the damn thing. 

katmai

I just picked up 24" samsung from Costco MBM, yeah it cost a bit more than the new egg, but lifetime warranty from costco if i have problems with it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son