"I Got Into the Habbit of Paying for Boys" says French Minister, Still Popular

Started by Queequeg, October 12, 2009, 03:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 05:39:10 PM
Eh I think the distinction MM was trying to make was that the American President's powers are limited because he has no legislative authority beyond his veto, and thus is rather limited in what he can do without Congressional opposition..something no PM of any country would ever have to deal with since legislative support is a requirement for the job.

Not necessarily. Minority governments are not unheard of in Parliamentary democracies where no majority can form in the Parliament and for whatever reason earlier elections cannot or will not be called.

Many Parliamentary democracies also provide for a various degree of involvement of the President in appointing the Prime Minister (for example where the Parliament is unable to appoint one).

And the Prime Minister's "legislative authority" is usually entirely de facto, as he or she usually leads the Parliamentary majority (but again this is not always the case - again it is not unheard of for the Prime Minister to be a politician or a technocrat that is not the same person as the leader of the ruling party).

And then you can have the so-called "expert governments" (again usually appointed due to a Parliamentary crisis) that have no automatic backing of the Parliamentary majority.

In short: things are more complex and come in more variations than you guys think.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2009, 05:37:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2009, 05:14:41 PM
Pretty sure they're talking about the PM in the French system.

Well that is a little weaker simply because a French PM does not even have to be a member of the National Assembly.

Does not have to be, but typically is.  As opposed to the US system where executive branch officials can never hold a position in the legislature.

What Martinus is missing is that the European parliamentary systems lack true separation of legislative and executive powers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 13, 2009, 06:08:38 PM
In short: things are more complex and come in more variations than you guys think.

I am familiar with minority governments and the like, after all it seems our northern neighbors have nothing but these days :P

I was just discussing the...basic concepts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 06:16:43 PM
What Martinus is missing is that the European parliamentary systems lack true separation of legislative and executive powers.

I am not missing it. I just think that despite differences, the President of the United States, not the Speaker of the House, is a closer equivalent of the Prime Minister in a Parliamentary Democracy.

garbon

Well most people think you are wrong and given your track record on knowledge of America...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

This thread definitely delivered.

I always thought Marti's portrayal of a lawyer was lame, but that pales in comparison to the lameness of Marti the Psychiatrist and Marti the Political Analyst.  Marti the Analogizer is still top of the comedy charts, but these come close.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2009, 07:01:01 AM

I always thought Marti's portrayal of a lawyer was lame, but that pales in comparison to the lameness of Marti the Psychiatrist and Marti the Political Analyst.  Marti the Analogizer is still top of the comedy charts, but these come close.

You forgot Marti the fauxmosexual, starring in The Lameness of The Shrew.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2009, 07:16:24 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 14, 2009, 07:01:01 AM

You forgot Marti the fauxmosexual, starring in The Lameness of The Shrew.

:huh: "Marti the Analogizer "
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p