News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

And the Peace Nobel Prize for 2009 goes to...

Started by Martinus, October 09, 2009, 04:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2009, 09:07:46 AM
The really funny part is that I had no idea he was actually nominated - I just wanted to play off of Berkut.  ;)
Nor did I.  When I heard the news on the radio this morning, I honestly thought it was a joke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2009, 09:09:19 AM
Auyn San Suu Chi spent twelve years in prison or under house arrest in the name of peace and democracy before the committee decided she was worthy.  Obama spent twelve days simply not being George Bush

Hadn't thought about it quite that way, but now you've convinced me.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2009, 05:16:09 AM
Quote from: Jaron on October 09, 2009, 04:57:20 AM
:yeah:

That's my president!

Is there anything that man can't do?
Balance the budget, close Gitmo, protect habeas corpus, repeal DOMA.... I could keep going.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: Scipio on October 09, 2009, 09:13:52 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2009, 05:16:09 AM
Quote from: Jaron on October 09, 2009, 04:57:20 AM

That's my president!

Is there anything that man can't do?
Balance the budget, close Gitmo, protect habeas corpus, repeal DOMA.... I could keep going.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Honorary POTM!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
I predict that this is ultimately going to hurt Obama in the long run.

I predict this will have no influence or relevance whatsoever.

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2009, 09:17:22 AM
You predict wrongly IMHO.  I think it's going to infuriate the large portion of the middle class who are already frustrated with Obama's performance so far.

KRonn

Quote from: Alexandru H. on October 09, 2009, 05:06:48 AM
The most disturbing thing is this one:

"nominations closed 2 weeks after Obama was sworn into office"   :lmfao:
Yeah, apparently nominations closed Feb 1, 2009. Pres Obama had been in office for 11 days.   :huh:

It's for 'his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,'; though he hadn't really, actually done anything?

We Americans should be so proud!

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2009, 09:19:27 AM
You predict wrongly IMHO.  I think it's going to infuriate the large portion of the middle class who are already frustrated with Obama's performance so far.

Nah, people will go through the usual ritual of bitching and moaning about the Nobel Peace Prize being ridiculous and then everyone will forget it.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on October 09, 2009, 09:05:58 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2009, 09:04:01 AM
The Nobel Memorial Prize for Internet Forum Posting?

Naw, I stole Lusti's box of cracker jacks. The one with the Peace Prize at the bottom.
Hey! No wonder I could not find it! Give it back!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: KRonn on October 09, 2009, 09:20:17 AM

Yeah, apparently nominations closed Feb 1, 2009. Pres Obama had been in office for 11 days.   :huh:

It's for 'his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,'; though he hadn't really, actually done anything?

That's the problem with you, Americans - you are just never happy.

During Bush's reign you were hated no matter what you did. Now you are loved no matter what you do. :P

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2009, 09:20:43 AM
Nah, people will go through the usual ritual of bitching and moaning about the Nobel Peace Prize being ridiculous and then everyone will forget it.
The Repubs will find a way of making it into a campaign issue in 2012.

OTOH, the Republican Party as of late couldn't find its way out a men's bathroom stall, so maybe I'm wrong.

The Minsky Moment

It will tip the birthers and tea party crowd into total insanity.  World government, black helicopters and all that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2009, 09:19:27 AM
I see this as maybe making a bit of a mockery of the prize and possibly of Pres Obama. I don't like how this looks so cheaply given since Pres Obama has his work cut out in foreign policy and I fail to see how this adds prestige, more like faux prestige that could fail or backfire. Not happy about it, and no reflection on Obama, but on the prize givers.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2009, 09:21:54 AM

During Bush's reign you were hated no matter what you did. Now you are loved no matter what you do. :P

It is better to be feared than loved.  :mad:

Quote from: Caliga on October 09, 2009, 09:23:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2009, 09:20:43 AM
OTOH, the Republican Party as of late couldn't find its way out a men's bathroom stall, so maybe I'm wrong.
Because they keep stopping to solicit for gay sex?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on October 09, 2009, 09:21:54 AM

I guess then Pres Bush at least deserves a peace prize for bringing democracy to Iraq, removing a dictator and brutal conditions people suffered under.