News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books and you

Started by Martinus, October 08, 2009, 08:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on October 08, 2009, 10:46:29 AM
1. Why pay when you can read them for free?
Highlighting passages, notes to the side, etc.

Quote2. Why would you want to keep them once you've read them once and are very unlikely to read them again?

Reference material.

Korea

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 09:43:50 AM
I keep them.  The thought of giving anything away disgusts me, as does the thought of throwing anything out, or selling anything.  Who knows, I might feel the need to reread some crappy fantasy novel that I read in grade school again.  And I know I'll want to read some classical sci-fi at some point.

:hug:

I could never give a book away. I always know I'll get nostalgic and want to reread something several times.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

I don't even like to let people borrow books. They might mess them up worse than I would. Or never give them back. :( My sister hasn't given me back 3 books that I let her borrow months and months ago, even though she has already read them.  :mad:
I want my mother fucking points!

Habbaku

Quote from: Korea on October 08, 2009, 08:53:22 PM
My sister hasn't given me back 3 books that I let her borrow months and months ago, even though she has already read them.  :mad:

Ask her to return them.  If she doesn't, just visit her one day and leave with them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Brazen

A lesson for everyone. When you find your one true love and make the ultimate gesture of merging your book collections together, never, ever get rid of the doubles. That could lead to eventual loss of autographed Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books, including the copy of Restaurant at the End of the Universe signed by all the radio cast. For instance.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 08, 2009, 09:48:13 AM
Elric lost its magic as soon as I turned 18.  :cry:
But he returns as a comic, rather than tragic, figure later in your life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!