Anti-h1n1 vaccine fear-mongering runs amok in Canada

Started by Drakken, October 07, 2009, 10:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2009, 06:06:50 PM
I can respect that.

You are too kind.  Rejecting modern medicine is not something that should be taken lightly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 07:01:16 PM
I can respect that.

You are too kind.  Rejecting modern medicine is not something that should be taken lightly.

:rolleyes:

Perhaps he read the rest of my post, where I explicitly did not reject modern medicine. :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:15:44 PM

Perhaps he read the rest of my post, where I explicitly did not reject modern medicine. :P

Sounds like you are rejecting it unless it is a life v. death case.  Of course, a little preventive medicine might have gone a long way...but that's not natural. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 07:22:14 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:15:44 PM

Sounds like you are rejecting it unless it is a life v. death case.  Of course, a little preventive medicine might have gone a long way...but that's not natural. :(

Preventive medicine can go a long way. Preventive medicine that is currently 99.999999999% unneccessary for me at my age and physical level is a waste of resources that could be better spent elsewhere. Why should I add unneccessarily to the unaffordability to my country of the NHS?

As an example, I am 100% behind the compulsory vaccination of children against mumps, measles and rubella. I'd have to be insane to complain about tuberculosis jabs (not that I have had one - for some reason my Heaf Test came up with a positive result for exposure to tuberculosis, although where this was from I have never been able to figure out.) But jabs for a disease that my body should be well able to cope with? I'll pass.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2009, 12:38:53 PM
I honestly have trouble with reasoning why anyone would not want a flu vaccine. It is true that, for adults, the disease isn't life-threatening; but it is damned miserable. Set against that, the adverse events of the vaccine itself are a nothing of a nothing.

I could understand it if it was horribly expensive, but many places give it out free to the end user - we get it free at work.

Have to use up those sickdays somehow.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:30:09 PM
But jabs for a disease that my body should be well able to cope with? I'll pass.

Your aspirin has sharp edges?

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 07:41:46 PM
But jabs for a disease that my body should be well able to cope with? I'll pass.

Nope, but unless I am diagnosed with a condition for which it is therapeutic (I believe it assists people vulnerable to heart conditions, for example) I see no need to dose myself up with something unneccessary. Headaches go away if you are patient enough; if they don't, you go to a doctor for a professional opinion. What's the point of unprescribed aspirin, then?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:47:41 PM
Nope, but unless I am diagnosed with a condition for which it is therapeutic (I believe it assists people vulnerable to heart conditions, for example) I see no need to dose myself up with something unneccessary. Headaches go away if you are patient enough; if they don't, you go to a doctor for a professional opinion. What's the point of unprescribed aspirin, then?

I'm not sure why I would want to suffer through a headache if I can get rid of it immediately.

Another example would be that when nervous/stressed, I tend to get stomach cramps.  Why should I suffer through events with stomach cramps, if there is easily accessible medication to solve my problem?

Side note, but does this mean that you also avoid things like alcohol, caffeine, etc?

citizen k

Quote from: Zoupa on October 08, 2009, 03:17:15 AM
I'm a pharmacist and I'm not getting the shot.

This vaccine has not been properly tested, and that's a fact.

QuoteWHO sees a few minor side effects from H1N1 shot

(AP) GENEVA — The World Health Organization says a vaccine is the best tool against swine flu despite reports of a few minor side effects in China.

Spokesman Gregory Hartl says WHO has seen reports of four people out of 39,000 vaccinated against H1N1 in China who have had side effects like muscle cramps and headache.
Hartl says such effects are to be expected.
He says people — especially health care workers — should be encouraged to get the vaccine.
Hartl says the current formulation is among the safest vaccines that WHO has seen.
He said Tuesday that the vaccination campaign will soon move to Australia, the United States and parts of Europe.

QuoteCDC director stresses H1N1 vaccine safety

ATLANTA, Oct. 6 (UPI) -- The director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at a news briefing in Atlanta Tuesday, said the H1N1 flu vaccine is safe and effective.

"The (H1N1) flu vaccine is made as flu vaccine is made each year. By the same companies. In the same production facilities. With the same procedures. With the same safety, safeguards," Dr. Thomas Frieden told reporters during a telephone briefing.

"We have had literally hundreds of millions of people vaccinated against flu with flu vaccine made in this way. That enables us to have a high degree of confidence in the safety of the vaccine. It has an excellent safety record," he said.

Frieden said the CDC "wished we had the vaccine earlier" but current science doesn't allow for production of the vaccine in much less than six months

"It would have been great to have had it back in April or May," he said.

He acknowledged that people have concerns about vaccinations and said that was "understandable" but he said the flu vaccine is "tried and true ... very effective."

Vaccine problems that could occur would likely occur at a very low rate -- 1 per 100,000, Frieden said.

"It would take some time to know there was a problem," he said. "On the other hand, there's no reason to think there would be more problem with this vaccine than with the vaccine each year."

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 07:01:16 PM
I can respect that.

Britain's a lost cause anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 08:29:59 PM
Side note, but does this mean that you also avoid things like alcohol, caffeine, etc?

Not deliberately, although both my alcohol and caffeine consumption are well down over that of a few years ago.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on October 08, 2009, 07:47:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 08, 2009, 07:41:46 PM

I don't see the point in toughing it out. It isn't like we are facing a critical asprin shortage, and they usually make enough vaccines to treat everyone.

Hell, I take drugs all the time just for fun and convenience - I'm sipping caffine-laden tea right now; later tonight, I plan to dose myself with some alcohol.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 09, 2009, 04:33:10 AM
Not deliberately, although both my alcohol and caffeine consumption are well down over that of a few years ago.

Exactly how do you justify using them though? After all, alcohol and caffeine are generally as powerful, if not more powerful drugs than aspirin...and as Malthus pointed out, generally they are consumed for fun/convenience.  How are you drawing a distinction?

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2009, 11:34:47 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on October 09, 2009, 04:33:10 AM

Exactly how do you justify using them though? After all, alcohol and caffeine are generally as powerful, if not more powerful drugs than aspirin...and as Malthus pointed out, generally they are consumed for fun/convenience.  How are you drawing a distinction?

I believe that is all the answer I need to give. :P

Although I could invent something along the lines of "caffeine in coffee" being natural, blah, blah, blah, but it would be a lie.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on October 09, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
I believe that is all the answer I need to give. :P

Although I could invent something along the lines of "caffeine in coffee" being natural, blah, blah, blah, but it would be a lie.

I take aspirin for fun/convenience...after all, it is hard to have fun when one's head is pounding. :huh: