Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

That's fair. [spoiler]I mostly just find the wandering in the woods part a bit dull / (as I always used to explore it first) hated how difficult it could sometimes be to kill off those tree creatures.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I can see that, but I found the Deep Roads gave me more trouble (there were a few very hairy fights).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 04:26:24 PM
Of course, makes me annoyed that they ever code in gender restrictions as it would have been trivially easy to have Alistair actor read same lines with "man" inserted (or just edit to replace "woman" with "man") as there isn't anything in his romance dialogue that would prevent easily opening it up to both genders.
Dragon Age 2 is for you then.  All characters are bisexuals.  So realistic...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2015, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 04:26:24 PM
Of course, makes me annoyed that they ever code in gender restrictions as it would have been trivially easy to have Alistair actor read same lines with "man" inserted (or just edit to replace "woman" with "man") as there isn't anything in his romance dialogue that would prevent easily opening it up to both genders.
Dragon Age 2 is for you then.  All characters are bisexuals.  So realistic...

No Dragon Age 2 isn't for me. That one was mightily boring.  Besides, it is really just about choice. If you don't actually choose to try and romance a character, you don't really get any sort of sexuality vibe off of them.

Also, who wants reality when playing a fantasy video game? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 11:08:12 AM
No Dragon Age 2 isn't for me. That one was mightily boring.  Besides, it is really just about choice. If you don't actually choose to try and romance a character, you don't really get any sort of sexuality vibe off of them.
Yes, it is true.  But it breaks from game immersion imho, and makes the characters less believable and it effictively removes any difference between playing a female or male character.  Playing a female in DA:O gave me different dialogues, different perceptions from NPCs.  In DA2, I got the exact same dialogue, the exact same reactions from everyone.

Also, who wants reality when playing a fantasy video game? :D
same people expecting plausability in all form of entertainment? :)

We know from the lore that not everyone in Thedas is 100% bisexual.
In DA:O, Leliana is much harder to convince of the benefit of romance if you're playing a female.  Zevran is open to both, Allistair is straight, the Qunari judges you worthless.

I think it's realistic in the way the world was built, with all kinds of different people.

It's just silly that you happen to stumble on the 5-6 people in the entire world who are bisexual. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2015, 02:16:57 PM
Yes, it is true.  But it breaks from game immersion imho, and makes the characters less believable and it effictively removes any difference between playing a female or male character.  Playing a female in DA:O gave me different dialogues, different perceptions from NPCs.  In DA2, I got the exact same dialogue, the exact same reactions from everyone.

You can still have those - if romance options were opened up. I wasn't saying that gender references should be removed.

Quote from: viper37 on January 13, 2015, 02:16:57 PM
same people expecting plausability in all form of entertainment? :)

We know from the lore that not everyone in Thedas is 100% bisexual.
In DA:O, Leliana is much harder to convince of the benefit of romance if you're playing a female.  Zevran is open to both, Allistair is straight, the Qunari judges you worthless.

I think it's realistic in the way the world was built, with all kinds of different people.

It's just silly that you happen to stumble on the 5-6 people in the entire world who are bisexual. ;)

So being a dueling mage who fights dragons is more plausible than say being able to pick who in a game you want to have a romance with? :wacko:

Also, I think you are missing my point. Unless you choose to start a romance plot, there isn't really that much dialogue that reveals the sexuality of the NPCs. If you want Alistair to be straight, one could just choose not to initiate a romance plot with him. I was not a fan that in the first one the only gay option was Zevran. I avoided a romance plot when given that option.

Similarly, I don't think anything was taken away from the character of Kaiden Alenko by letting him have a male or female romance plot in the later iteration of Mass Effect.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 02:27:43 PM
You can still have those - if romance options were opened up. I wasn't saying that gender references should be removed.
The lack of gay/bi character is another issue.  I've never felt bothered by it, obviously :P
Between adding a couple more options for LGBT and having everyone bisexual, there's a world of difference.

I will certainly not pretend to be an expert in LGBT relationships, but I kinda think that things evolve differently than a purely straight relationship.  A bi character might approach women differently than men.  in DA:O, a female romance with Lelianna is much harder to initiate than a male romance (or was it the opposite? hmm.)
A gay character would react differently to attractive males (and your character is reputed attractive, no matter how ugly you customize it), even in non romanced situations than he would to a women.

In DA2, everything is the same.  Only the pronouns change.

In DA:O, you got extra dialogues with Sten if you were a woman.  He just couldn't believe there was such a thing as female warrior.  DA2 missed that with that whole everyone-is-bisexual approach.

And in DA:I, you got a good mix of relationships, I think.  Iron Bull is a bisexual male with preferences toward women, Dorian is gay, Josephine is bisexual, Sera is lesbian, Solas only likes elven women, and the others are straight.

This is still a game, mind you, and the romances are just an extra, they ain't the goal of the game.  Still, given the lore, I expect some kind of realism.  Magic & dragons exists in the game, yet, not everyone is a mage that can shapeshift into a dragon. :)

garbon

Scipio

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2015, 02:08:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 02:27:43 PM
The lack of gay/bi character is another issue.  I've never felt bothered by it, obviously :P
Between adding a couple more options for LGBT and having everyone bisexual, there's a world of difference.

I will certainly not pretend to be an expert in LGBT relationships, but I kinda think that things evolve differently than a purely straight relationship.  A bi character might approach women differently than men.  in DA:O, a female romance with Lelianna is much harder to initiate than a male romance (or was it the opposite? hmm.)
A gay character would react differently to attractive males (and your character is reputed attractive, no matter how ugly you customize it), even in non romanced situations than he would to a women.

In DA2, everything is the same.  Only the pronouns change.

In DA:O, you got extra dialogues with Sten if you were a woman.  He just couldn't believe there was such a thing as female warrior.  DA2 missed that with that whole everyone-is-bisexual approach.

And in DA:I, you got a good mix of relationships, I think.  Iron Bull is a bisexual male with preferences toward women, Dorian is gay, Josephine is bisexual, Sera is lesbian, Solas only likes elven women, and the others are straight.

This is still a game, mind you, and the romances are just an extra, they ain't the goal of the game.  Still, given the lore, I expect some kind of realism.  Magic & dragons exists in the game, yet, not everyone is a mage that can shapeshift into a dragon. :)
IIRC, Cullen only likes Human women. Blackwall goes for all the ladies.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37