News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Requiring pc vista help.

Started by Syt, October 04, 2009, 12:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yo, I have a bit of a problem with my PC which is why I post this from my cellphone.

Earlier today my computer gave me something I've not seen in a long while: a blue screen of death.

Afterwards it failed to boot - getting as far as the desktop before going back to the bsod.

I first thought it might be a memory issue, so I tried all combinations for the 4 2gb bars I havw. Negative. I ran scn/scannow but without success. I tried disabling what I could in msconfig. No positive result.

The bosd references a luafv.sys and complains about the unability to write a pagefile or -table. Secure mode runs fine. Any tips what I could try short of reformat?

Please, no comments about vista, ms, mac or whatever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

If it can't write a page file, it sounds like your hard drive might be kaput. If you've got any external drives or USB memory sticks in, remove them and see if it's still happening. The file referenced is also apparently part of User Account Control; do you have that enabled or disabled?

Also, check Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced > Reliability and Performance Monitor > Reliability Monitor. What kind of index number do you get for that? (It's in the top right of the reliability monitor)

Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

DOS?  Whats in the logs?

Run a surface scan on the drive.  Sounds like it might be on its way out.
PDH!

Agelastus

Almost certainly your hard drive - I've had two die on me in the last couple of years under similar circumstances. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Caliga

Agree, sounds like a bad HDD.  Do you know the make/model?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Thanks for the hints. It could indeed be the harddrive, because now the pc boots to a black desktop with a responsive mouse pointer and strong hd activity.

This sucks, though. I've had this machine half a year and already had to replace the power supply a while back. The place that built it for me refused to replace it under warranty because I had opened the case to install a second hard drive.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Well, trying to run the vista installer from dvd nets the same redult. Great. "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I'm just glad that most of my important files are on a different drive.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Seriously, I think we should have computer problems sub-forum.  We've got a lot of knowledgeable people here, as well as lot of people with lemon computers.  It would be nice to put all that together into one place.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2009, 01:21:33 PM
Well, trying to run the vista installer from dvd nets the same redult. Great. "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I'm just glad that most of my important files are on a different drive.
Bastards.

If you really want to keep the setup you could try making an image of the drive and putting it on the replacement.  It may or may not work depending on how much file corruption has resulted from the drive's death throws.
PDH!

Josephus

What DGuller said.

We need a subforum.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

No.  No, we don't.  We need everything in one big forum.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2009, 02:00:12 PM
Seriously, I think we should have computer problems sub-forum.  We've got a lot of knowledgeable people here, as well as lot of people with lemon computers.  It would be nice to put all that together into one place.

Yeah then nobody would go in there except when they have PC problems.  The way we have it now the thread with a PC problem is for all to see, annoying everyone.  Like Roadkill or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

Count me in the "pro-subforum" camp- I'm a big fan of a nice directory structure to forums; and why would it matter if the forum was busy or not, since we're not leasing server space with a minimum traffic clause? If we had a subforum, it'd be easier to see when there's progress on a PC work thread.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Incorrect Shamesy.  In.Core.Ekt.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 04, 2009, 08:16:44 PM
Incorrect Shamesy.  In.Core.Ekt.

I didn't say "helpful progress." Just that it'd be easier to spot right away that there's been movement in a PC thread, even if it's just Raz talking about roadkill.
Experience bij!