Main Menu

Who Killed California?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 02, 2009, 10:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

California is the next Detroit.
PDH!

PDH

California would be wonderful if it only had about one quarter as many Californians...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2009, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2009, 09:16:11 AM
California's demiseCalifornia=greatly exaggerated.

Fixed for accuracy and clarification as to why this is a big deal.

Let me guess: you haven't spent a lot of time in California.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on October 03, 2009, 10:36:47 AM
California would be wonderful if it only had about one quarter as many Californians...

Do you want to bring in even more Mexicans?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Says New Jersey. :lmfao:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2009, 12:05:36 PM
Says New Jersey. :lmfao:

If I could afford to live anywhere else, you bet your ass I would. I think both states should be sunk and erased from the collective memory.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

Go to Alaska, they'll pay you to live there.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2009, 07:20:18 AM
You never let teachers decide shit. These are the people who couldn't even climb the ivory tower and got stuck in the ivory septic tank.

President Wilson comes to mind.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2009, 10:25:16 AM
Go to Alaska, they'll pay you to live there.

Until recently, not enough- that would have meant living in the same state as my grandfather, and AK isn't big enough for that.

Besides, I thought new residents weren't getting the stipend anymore? :huh:
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 10:11:58 AM
I think both states should be sunk and erased from the collective memory.

Exactly. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

California is frankly ungovernable.  It's sad to say, as I have lived there and love it, but it's a political nightmare.

I spent most of June in California, and you could *feel* the tension and anxiety.
There's probably no good way to 'fix' CA without major, major structural overhaul, but you have to get the
inmates to agree to this before any renovations can be made to the asylum.  Fat chance of that.

On a related note, Oregon is hardly any better off.  We share much of the dysfunctionality of CA, with less $$$.
Thanks to old Governor Kitzhaber, we tried to have steak healthcare on hamburger financing.  Whoops.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 04, 2009, 11:30:47 AM
I spent most of June in California, and you could *feel* the tension and anxiety.

:blink:

AnchorClanker

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2009, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 04, 2009, 11:30:47 AM

:blink:

Certainly in Orange County - not so much in Monterey.  Completely different worlds.
That's part of the fun of CA - it's one state with dozens of regions... etc.  OC has changed a great deal from when I lived there.

Tonitrus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 04, 2009, 11:02:15 AM
Besides, I thought new residents weren't getting the stipend anymore? :huh:

You just have to live here for an entire calender year(Jan-Dec), and get a driver's license, or rent/buy a home, etc to show residency.  And intend to remain permanently, or risk them going after you if you decide to retire somewhere else.

garbon

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 04, 2009, 11:42:54 AM
Certainly in Orange County - not so much in Monterey.  Completely different worlds.
That's part of the fun of CA - it's one state with dozens of regions... etc.  OC has changed a great deal from when I lived there.

You're the one who made the generalization about tension & anxiety being palpable in California. :P