Main Menu

:tinfoil:

Started by Armyknife, October 02, 2009, 04:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armyknife

Literally:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8279549.stm

QuoteAnti-wi-fi paint offers security

Researchers say they have created a special kind of paint which can block out wireless signals.

It means security-conscious wireless users could block their neighbours from being able to access their home network - without having to set up encryption.

The paint contains an aluminium-iron oxide which resonates at the same frequency as wi-fi - or other radio waves - meaning the airborne data is absorbed and blocked.

By coating an entire room, signals can't get in and, crucially, can't get out.

Developed at the University of Tokyo, the paint could cost as little as £10 per kilogram, researchers say.

Cost-effective security

The makers say that for businesses it's a quick and cheap way of preventing access to sensitive data from unauthorised users. Presently, most companies have to invest in complicated encryption software to deter hackers.

Speaking on the BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme, Shin-ichi Ohkoshi, who is leading the project, explained how the paint could have many uses beyond security.

"In a medical setting, you could transmit large volumes of data from a medical device, such as an endoscope, to a computer.

"By painting a solution containing our magnetic particles on the walls, you would quickly, and effectively, shield the room from stray electromagnetic radiation from outside."

While paints blocking lower frequencies have been available for some time, Mr Ohkoshi's technology is the first to absorb frequencies transmitting at 100GHz (gigahertz). Signals carrying a larger amount of data - such as wireless internet - travel at a higher frequency than, for example, FM radio.

"I'm working on a material that can absorb a larger range of frequencies. We are capable of making a paint that can absorb over 200 gigahertz."

He hopes that soon the technology could be woven into clothing.

"We're not sure about the true effects of electromagnetic waves, in this range, on the human body.

"We're assuming that excessive exposure could be bad for us. Therefore we're trying to make protective clothes for young children or pregnant women to help protect their bodies from such waves."

At the movies

The paint could also provide some much-needed relief during nights out at the cinema.

"Our current mobile phones work at much lower frequencies, around 1.5 gigahertz. But, our material can also absorb frequencies that low, so you could block phone signals from outside and stop people's phones ringing during the movie," he said.

As well as helping to keep the cinema quiet, the paint may also pave the way for higher quality screens.

"Movie pictures are beamed on the screen by the projector at the back of the cinema. But in the future, you could use a data link that works with millimetre waves.

"You would have problems with interference, unless you painted the wall and ceiling of the theatre with an absorbent material like ours.

"In fact, we've had an order from an American company keen to use our ink in its movie theatre - we've just sent them a sample."

'Nothing new'

Some security experts remain unconvinced by the paint.

"The use of electromagnetic shielding techniques are nothing new," said Mark Jackson, security engineer at Cisco UK. "They have been utilised by highly sensitive environments for many years."

Mr Jackson notes that while the paint may block eavesdroppers, it would not prevent other types of hackers or intruders.

"Paint that blocks RF based Wi-Fi transmissions does not in any way remove the need to ensure a robust security model is deployed," he added.

"Surely the thought of having to redecorate a building in order to provide Wi-Fi security is more costly & complex than security functionality available in even the cheapest of Wi-Fi access points?" he said.

Agelastus

Might be useful. Including my own, I can see nine networks from my house at this point in time. Two of them unsecured.

I think there may be a problem he hasn't considered here, though.

Windows.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josephus

Quote from: Agelastus on October 02, 2009, 04:21:07 PM

Windows.

He should get a Mac then.

(get it?)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

sbr

Quote from: Josephus on October 02, 2009, 04:22:31 PM

Windows.

(get it?)

:P

Winkelried

Windows.

(get it?)

:D

The Brain

Windows.

(get it?)

Rarely these days.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Windows.

(get it?)

Of course. Please excuse me for a few minutes while I go away and groan...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maximus

Seems encryption would be a lot easier.

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2009, 07:30:42 PM
Seems encryption would be a lot easier.

Lol, yes.

I wonder which requires more work, time, effort, and/or cash: encrypting a wireless network, or painting a Goddamn house.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

This guy's talking about 100 GHz and 200 GHz, so I have a hard time swallowing that the paint will resonate at exactly 2.437 GHz with a ±25 MHz tolerance (channel 6 is 2.437 GHz, channel 1 is 2.412, and channel 11 is 2.462- there's a 5 MHz step between each channel).
Experience bij!

Josquius

I suppose its good news for those idiots who claim to be allergic to wifi.
██████
██████
██████

Lucidor

Is the side of the paint that faces the wall shiny? It has to be, to shield against the guv'mint mind control rays.

Alatriste

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 02, 2009, 09:55:50 PM
This guy's talking about 100 GHz and 200 GHz, so I have a hard time swallowing that the paint will resonate at exactly 2.437 GHz with a ±25 MHz tolerance (channel 6 is 2.437 GHz, channel 1 is 2.412, and channel 11 is 2.462- there's a 5 MHz step between each channel).

You engineers are hopeless, always telling managers and marketeers 'this and that won't work'... When will you get it? That man is not selling anti wi-fi paint, he's selling a warm, fuzzy feeling of security, and with that rending a worthy service to the community!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Alatriste on October 03, 2009, 05:09:49 AM
You engineers are hopeless, always telling managers and marketeers 'this and that won't work'... When will you get it? That man is not selling anti wi-fi paint, he's selling a warm, fuzzy feeling of security, and with that rending a worthy service to the community!

I wouldn't sully the engineers on the forum by lumping me in with them- I just remembered the 2.4 GHz range and checked my router config to see what frequencies it actually used. :lol:
Experience bij!

Savonarola

Might be useful. Including my own, I can see nine networks from my house at this point in time. Two of them unsecured.

Windows.

Windows are going to be your big problem, since they usually have much less attenuation than building material.  You can overcome this by getting windows with a metallic tint or by using a high quality thermal shielding.

There is an advantage to reducing microwave signals in your house; WiFi is a spread spectrum technology and by repressing intefering signals the data rate of your desired network will increase.  The disadvantage is that you'll block the desired signals as well; including your cell phone network.  Also if you paint your interior walls with this it will stop signal from going from room to room.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock