News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The Satintones - Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart

This is the end of the line for Motown's first male group, the Satintones.  The Marcels had just had a hit with an R&B version of a 30s standard Blue Moon, so Berry Gordy decided he was going to update a different 30s era standard.  It doesn't start out well; the background singers (maybe deliberately) sing the lines about never being able to carry a tune out of tune; but once the bass man gets in there the song improves dramatically.  It's not another Blue Moon (even if they end with a dip-dip-dip-dip taken from Blue Moon), but it is enjoyable.  The B side Faded Letter is a thoroughly forgettable ballad.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Kate Bush - The Man With The Child In His Eyes

This pho chain near me continues to be great with the music.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Mogwai- Take Me Somewhere Nice
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

She Wants Revenge- She Will Always Be a Broken Girl

Savonarola

Eddie Holland - Jamie

This was supposed to be the sixth song for Barrett Strong (Strong is one of the co-writers), but Barrett had left the company by then after a long series of flops.  This turned out to be a hit on the R&B charts; although it might not have if Barrett had sung it.  Eddie sounds like he's having fun here, and that seems to make the song work.

Eddie had released one of the first singles for Motown: Merry-Go-Round.  He then had his contract sold to United Artists.  He then got dropped after a long string of flops and returned to Motown.

The B side Take a Chance On Me (no, not related to the ABBA song) was co-written by Eddie's little brother Brian.  This is starting to sound more like the Holland-Dozier-Holland songs.  It's a little too strange to have been a hit; but its still interesting.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Avatar- For the Swarm. This sounds A LOT like System of a Down.

Savonarola

Ethel Waters - Am I Blue? (1929)

I kept imagining that Muddy Waters had run out on Ethel when I heard this (especially the part when the man in question had run off to Chicago.)  Muddy would have been about 16 when Ethel sang this; it's hard to think of them as contemporaries, they seem to belong to completely different ages.

Eddie Teach

Savonarola

I listened to a collection of hymns by Saint Yared (6th Century AD.)  He created his own musical notation that was preserved by the Ethiopian Coptic Church so his work still survives.  To my ears his hymns sound remarkably like the Muslim call to prayer.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Stephen Lynch- Craig
Glenn Miller- Little Brown Jug
Tenacious D- Kielbasa
Pearl Jam- Betterman
Shakira- Suerte(Wherever, Whenever)
Break of Reality- Spectrum of the Sky

sbr

What are the best (preferably non-Apple, but it's not a deal breaker) places and ways to legitimately buy music these days?  I am a bit out of the loop and am thinking I might need to move beyond my 15 year old CDs of 30 year old music.

Savonarola

Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil (album)(1983)

Every bit as gleefully stupid and over the top as I remembered.  A lot of people who wrote stupid lyrics (The Ramones, Redd Kross, The Beastie Boys) did so intentionally there's a certain  ;) ;) characteristic to their music.  Mötley Crüe works because Nikki Sixx doesn't seem to realize what he's writing is monumentally stupid (and, as a bonus for them, neither did Tipper Gore.)  That would come back to bite them on their next album (Theater of Pain) when he tried to write political (Fight for your Rights) or sentimental (Home Sweet Home) in largely the same voice.  Here, though, where every song is about sex, violence and the devil; Nikki's vision is near perfect.