And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Marlena Shaw - California Soul
Aretha Franklin - The Weight
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

James Vincent McMorrow - Wicked Game

Heard in the new Game of Thrones trailer. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuH3tJPiP-U
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

I listened to a couple of Clara Rockmore recordings after today's Google doodle.  I didn't care much for them; outside of creepy movies and "Good Vibrations" I just don't care for the Theremin.  I've seen two performances that used the Theremin; one was at the Detroit Institute of Arts, the group was an accordion virtuoso and a Theremin virtuoso.  There music was very slow, and didn't seem to go anywhere - it was avant-garde, though, you could tell because half the audience left after about five minutes.  The second was a band opening for Air, which consisted of a keyboardist and a Theremin player.  Midway through one of their last songs the Theremin player screamed and fell down on the floor (as part of the act.)  That was also avant-garde.  What really made that great, though, is that one of the guitarists from air had done so many drugs that he also fell down on stage (not part of the act.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Mariana and The Diamonds - Solitaire
Jill Scott - Prepared
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Alessia Cara Wild Things

I'm not a huge fan of pop music, but I like this song.  Maybe because it reminds me of:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Portishead- All Mine. This song definitely feels like a Bond theme.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

With snow here yet the trees having buds, I settled for:

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Liep

Norgy

I've been listening to a lot of sad, sad old Motown lately.

Very little beats Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" and Bobby Bland's "Ain't No Love (In The Heart Of The City)" in terms of making a bad day a bit worse but also better.

Savonarola

Quote from: Norgy on March 18, 2016, 11:56:12 AM

Very little beats Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" and Bobby Bland's "Ain't No Love (In The Heart Of The City)" in terms of making a bad day a bit worse but also better.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day, Norge, but that doesn't excuse calling Bobby "Blue" Bland Motown.   :mad:

;)

Bland was actually on Duke records (and then various other labels after Duke was bought.)  Though it's not usually thought of as "The Motown Sound", Motown did actually have blues singers on their labels.  In fact one of Motown's first charting singles was "That Child is Really Wild" by Singin' Sammy Ward.

In any event I hope your day is turning out better.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 18, 2016, 01:26:49 PM
Quote from: Norgy on March 18, 2016, 11:56:12 AM

I'm sorry you're having a bad day, Norge, but that doesn't excuse calling Bobby "Blue" Bland Motown.   :mad:

;)

Bland was actually on Duke records (and then various other labels after Duke was bought.)  Though it's not usually thought of as "The Motown Sound", Motown did actually have blues singers on their labels.  In fact one of Motown's first charting singles was "That Child is Really Wild" by Singin' Sammy Ward.

In any event I hope your day is turning out better.

I think I discovered blues and Motown quite late, really. All I had heard was Diana Ross.
Now I can't stop listening to some amazing singers.
I'll check out Sammy Ward as well.

My days usually start out with there being little love in small towns in Norway too, but get better with coffee and some music. :)
And no, I wasn't dumped by some love interest.

Right now, I'm listening to "The Last Waltz" album by The Band and "The Weight" with a full The Band line-up and The Staple Singers. It's tearjerkingly good.

garbon