News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

The Gaslamp Killer - Nissim (feat. Amir Yaghmai)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Alle Farben feat. Lowell - Get High
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Underworld - Born Slippy .Nuxx
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me

Syt

Lazerhawk - King of the Street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjvTy2u9qxE

The video is scenes from Bubblegum Crisis. There's not many cool sci-fi/cyberpunk anime like it coming out any more. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Marina and The Diamonds - Primadonna Girl
Talking Heads - Burning Down The House
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)

garbon

Brandon Beal - Side Bitch Issues
Chet Faker feat. Banks - 1998

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

David Bowie - Let's Dance

Bowie's biggest selling of all time.  There's a lot of dead spots on this album but the title track, Modern Love, China Girl and his cover of Criminal World are enough to carry the album.  The version of Cat People on the album isn't bad, but the single version is much better.  The other three songs are forgettable, and a sign of what was to come.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman

Inkster is a largely African American suburb in Detroit.  In 1961 the high school's talent show had a prize, the first three places would be given an audition at the then fledgling Motown records.  The Marvelettes took fourth place, but with special pleading ended up getting an audition, then got a second audition in front of Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson and then got Motown's first number 1 single on the pop charts.  The two things that struck me on this listen was how slow the tempo is, and how the all of fifteen year old Gladys Horton nails the vocals.

I really wish John Lennon hadn't sung "Deliver de lettah de soonah de bettah" on the Beatles cover, but Gladys makes it work.

The B side So Long Baby sung by Wanda Young, is kind of painful.  Eventually she would go on to become the lead singer of the Marvelettes, but here she's clearly not ready.  (In fact the Marvelettes first called themselves the Cansinyets a pun on "Can't Sing Yet.")
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Florence + the Machine- Only If For a Night
Jimi Hendrix- The Wind Cries Mary
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Dire Straits...Dire Straits (lp)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"