News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Waited until midnight for Alice In Chains' "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here".  Ah, grunge.

garbon

Utada - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - FYI
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on May 26, 2013, 04:07:57 PM
You had to be there.

No, it's her voice. I like plenty of music from that same era, and earlier.

QuoteIf helps if you were young when she first burst upon the scene, not be be forgotten.  :bowler:

I was 3 when Wuthering Heights came out. My dad listened to Motown, not Kate Bush.

By your logic, no one who was born after about 1950 should be able to have an appreciation of the Beatles.

Which is of course incorrect.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Sabaton - The Lion From The North
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Tori Amos - Flying Dutchman
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

The Brain

Sabaton - Uprising

Considering the band name and that they have several songs about Poles kicking ass I wonder why Mart isn't all over them.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 11:28:43 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 26, 2013, 04:07:57 PM
You had to be there.

No, it's her voice. I like plenty of music from that same era, and earlier.

QuoteIf helps if you were young when she first burst upon the scene, not be be forgotten.  :bowler:
[/b]

I was 3 when Wuthering Heights came out. My dad listened to Motown, not Kate Bush.

By your logic, no one who was born after about 1950 should be able to have an appreciation of the Beatles.

Which is of course incorrect.

Wrong side of bed this morning?  :)

There does logic come into it ?

An opinion about music is just a view point and a matter of ones own tastes, not a foundation on which to build universal laws about music appreciation. 

But I suppose that is not the correct languish way of seeing things.

Your construction of a strawman out of the 2nd quoted passage is positively grumbleresque, you are to be congratulated.  :cheers:

Did it not occur to you that the statement might just be an observation linked to that state of much popular British pop music in the mid to late 1970s.
The music she made and the way it was presented, was to many of us something refreshingly different and experimental, so one can't help but in part experience the music within the context of the times we first heard it.

Though please do extrapolate some new construct of my new comments too.  :cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

Having a broad spectrum of tastes, I just detest the "you're not old enough to appreciate x" argument; it smacks of elitism and furthermore is incorrect.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 02:12:34 PM
Having a broad spectrum of tastes, I just detest the "you're not old enough to appreciate x" argument; it smacks of elitism and furthermore is incorrect.

QuoteThough please do extrapolate some new construct of my new comments too.  :cool:

Congratulations you did it again. :cheers:

Good job I wasn't making that argument or for that matter an argument, but again please do carry on.  :cool:

fhdz

QuoteYou had to be there. 

If helps if you were young when she first burst upon the scene

My point was that whether I was there or not, I'd still very likely dislike her voice intensely.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 02:18:00 PM

My point was that whether I was there or not, I'd still very likely dislike her voice intensely.

How does this relate to your two subsequent 'constructs' ?

edit:
why am I being so polite ?

You choose to take an off the cuff comment about musical taste and extrapolate a strawman or two out of it, for whatever personal reason/mood you're currently in.  And then continue to labour the point, maybe I should just say go fuck yourself, Fadhiz, that is the languish way is it not, and possibly easier for you to understand ?   :D

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on May 29, 2013, 02:22:02 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on May 29, 2013, 02:18:00 PM

How does this relate to your two subsequent 'constructs' ?

Because whether or not I was old enough to "be there" has, I would think, very little to do with the reasons why I find Kate Bush singularly unappealing.