News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2012, 11:59:52 PM
Now go and listen to a couple dozen other versions of that song and tell us who does it the best.

-_-

Joe Walsh--Turn to Stone.  Man, this is pretty good.  Why is it that, other than this morning, they only ever seem to play that whiny ass song about driving a Maserati?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Andrew Sisters & Danny Kaye - Civilization

QuoteEach morning, a missionary advertises neon sign
He tells the native population that civilization is fine
And three educated savages holler from a bamboo tree
That civilization is a thing for me to see

So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no
Bingo, bangle, bungle, I'm so happy in the jungle, I refuse to go
Don't want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords, I make it clear
That no matter how they coax him, I'll stay right here

I looked through a magazine the missionary's wife concealed (Magazine? What happens?)
I see how people who are civilized bung you with automobile (You know you can get hurt that
way Daniel?)
At the movies they have got to pay many coconuts to see (What do they see, Darling?)
Uncivilized pictures that the newsreel takes of me

So bongo, bongo, bongo, he don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no
Bingo, bangle, bungle, he's so happy in the jungle, he refuse to go
Don't want no penthouse, bathtub, streetcars, taxis, noise in my ear
So, no matter how they coax him, I'll stay right here

They hurry like savages to get aboard an iron train
And though it's smokey and it's crowded, they're too civilized to complain
When they've got two weeks vacation, they hurry to vacation ground (What do they do, Darling?)
They swim and they fish, but that's what I do all year round

So bongo, bongo, bongo, I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no
Bingo, bangle, bungle, I'm so happy in the jungle, I refuse to go
Don't want no jailhouse, shotgun, fish-hooks, golf clubs, I got my spears
So, no matter how they coax him, I'll stay right here

They have things like the atom bomb, so I think I'll stay where I "ahm"
Civilization, I'll stay right here!

They sure don't make'em like this anymore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PDH

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 03:07:24 PM
Joe Walsh--Turn to Stone.  Man, this is pretty good.  Why is it that, other than this morning, they only ever seem to play that whiny ass song about driving a Maserati?

The Confessor is also a pretty damn good song from him.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

The black keys- little black submarines
( from the new album which was one of best albums of last year)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

I woke up this morning and Spandau Ballet's True was stuck in my head so I youtubed it. http://youtu.be/AR8D2yqgQ1U

I've never seen its music video. It's so utterly 80s.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Dire Straits - 'Love Over Gold'.

I can remember where I was when I first heard this album.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2012, 05:21:27 PM

Brilliant choice.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2012, 05:54:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2012, 05:21:27 PM

Brilliant choice.

Age rather well, considering it's 80s music.  :D

Yeah, I remember walking into the bar of my alma mata, with two people I just met, who would turn out to be life long friends, and it was playing on the jukebox/pa system.

Josephus

I remember hearing the title track on the radio, before I became a Dire Straits fan, and saying to a friend..."hey these guys ripped off Tina Turner's Private Dancer."
Civis Romanus Sum

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on January 19, 2012, 06:15:04 PM
I remember hearing the title track on the radio, before I became a Dire Straits fan, and saying to a friend..."hey these guys ripped off Tina Turner's Private Dancer."

:D

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I've been going through a big box of CDs that I've never gotten around to importing into iTunes, discovering a lot of music I haven't listened to in, fuck, 15 years maybe.

Troublegum by Therapy? continues to be one of the most underrated albums of the 90s, IMHO.  What a powerful set from cover to cover.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 21, 2012, 10:46:32 AMTroublegum by Therapy? continues to be one of the most underrated albums of the 90s, IMHO.  What a powerful set from cover to cover.

That is indeed one awesome album. I liked Clawfinger better at the time, but these days I think Therapy? made the better music.
—Stephen Jay Gould